conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What AF motors are N85 and 400 using?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: What AF motors are N85 and 400 using? Reply with quote

I am wondering what other types of motors are the N85 and N400 using since it is not being mentioned they are using ultrasonic motors.

Extract:
"Vario-Sonnar 17-35, Vario-Sonnar 24-85, Vario-Sonnar 70-300 and Planar 50/1.4 are equipped with ultrasonic motors "
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never taken apart an N85 or an N400 completely to see what is inside, but judging from the sound of its autofocus action, I guess that they employ ordinary DC brushed motors.
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
I have never taken apart an N85 or an N400 completely to see what is inside, but judging from the sound of its autofocus action, I guess that they employ ordinary DC brushed motors.

Does it mean that these ordinary DC brushed motors are more readily available and can be replaced easily for the longest of time? Very Happy

Are these DC motors more reliable than ultrasonic motors?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may still be very hard to find the exact replacement for the DC motors. Also, no one outside of Contax knows how to replace them yet, as far as I know of.

Judging from the empirical data we have collected over the years

http://conurus.com/forum/reliability-rating-of-n-series-lenses-t667.html

The ultrasonic group (17-35, 24-85, 50/1.4 and 70-300) has a consistently higher failure rate than the DC brushed motor group (85/1.4, 100/2.8, 70-200, 400/4).

The exception is the DC brushed motor 28-80, which arguably has a design issue with a weak part which is prone to break. No worries, we know exactly how to repair that and we have parts. (But we won't be able to perform repairs for the other 8 Contax N lenses after 2015 because we lack the necessary parts.)

These lenses are around 10 years in age, so the failure rates aren't all that bad, in an absolute sense (except for the 28-80 IMO which gets into the 2-digit territory).

AF failures account for the majority of the failures we have seen but there are occasionally other issues. For the purposes of evaluating long term reliability I think we can focus on AF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: