conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VS 28-80 conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luposf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: VS 28-80 conversion Reply with quote

What about conversion of this lens? Any info?
It is more and widely diffused than the 24-85, so I suppose Your market be larger if You could support this lens.

If You will do this conversion, please take me informed, I own one VS 28...
Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Luposf
MomoInu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VS 28-80 conversion Reply with quote

luposf wrote:
What about conversion of this lens? Any info?
It is more and widely diffused than the 24-85, so I suppose Your market be larger if You could support this lens.
Regards,
Luposf

Interesting. It would seem to me, that more people have the VS 24-85. The 28-80 was introduced as a cheaper lens to go with the NX. Most people with N1's and N Digitals would have the 24-85 The 28-80 wasn't even available when the bulk of the N1's were sold, and I don't think they sold that many NX's. Most of the people I know have the 24-85 and am surprise when I run into someone with the 28-80. There were many unsold 28-80 lenses at the end, and Kyocera dumped them on the market together with an NX body at bargain price to get rid of them. It would be interesting to see the sales figures for the N system to know how many of each lens and body were sold. But I have a feeling that Kyocera won't be releasing this information anytime soon.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyocera published, in Japanese, projections of monthly unit production in their press release when they introduced each lens. The numbers were usually in the hundreds, depending on lens of course, and that figure may be revised internally during the product life cycle without being re-published. And projections are just that: projections.

We ourselves had to project based on Kyocera's projections, but given that the Contax brand was not doing very well from a profitability standpoint, we made adjustments in our planning by assumming Kyocera did not meet its own projections for N-mount lenses. Our assumption may have been wrong and obviously will not be verified by Kyocera.
luposf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: VS 28-80 conversion Reply with quote

MomoInu wrote:

There were many unsold 28-80 lenses at the end, and Kyocera dumped them on the market together with an NX body at bargain price to get rid of them.

This could be correct.
Today is very simple to find a 28-80 on the market at a ridicule price.

By the way ...
How much will cost the Cunurus converts?

LupoSF
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each mount replacement kit costs US$249 excluding installation. (I will charge more for some lenses if that lens is very exotic, such as 400/4, because its volume will be so low that it would be very difficult for me to amortize the fixed cost.)

Now here is the problem: the kit's price approaches or maybe exceed the now ridiculously low-priced 28-80. Some people may not be able to justify spending more on the conversion than on the lens itself. We are therefore focusing on other lenses in the N-mount line up. 28-80 will be supported, however, just that we do not see a big hit merely because there are a lot of them on the market.

Last edited by conurus on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
luposf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:

28-80 will be supported, however, just that we do not see a big hit merely because there are a lot of them on the market.

Ok, I understand.
Please inform me when the adapter will be available.
I have got a lens waiting only for it.

Regards
mwtphoto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: macro feature Reply with quote

does anyone have an experience with this lens? I am curious as to how well the macro feature performs. This lens is a lot more compact than the 24-85mm. How does it perform optically compared to the 24-85

thanks
mark
jrn813

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Also Have A 28-80, Waiting For Conversion.
I Understand The Thoughts About Cost Effectiveness,
But Don't Forget, It May Also Work To Many Photog's Advantage.
Some Would Love To Have The Zeiss Magic, But Can Not Justify Even The Inital Purchase.
Let Alone The Conversion. The 28-80 Is A Way Into The Zeiss Magic, Without Breaking The Piggy Bank.

I Have Seen The 28-80 Sell For $125-250 (I Paid $229 + 11 Freight, New & Was Happy)
If The Conversion Is $325-375, They Can Have A Zeiss Lens, With All The Magic, For $450 - 600
Where The 24-85 Is Costing $850-1,000 ....

If The Lens Preforms Anywhere Near The 24-85, I Think The Low End Market Will Be A Winner....

Just A Different Point Of Looking At The Same Issue....

jrn813

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just Noticed The View Count On This Thread....

That In It's Self Should Say Something, About Interest In This Lens....

John R

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: