conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing conversion of NAM-1 adapter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> 645 and 6x6 Medium Format
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Introducing conversion of NAM-1 adapter Reply with quote

We are making a change in our product plan and effective today we are accepting conversion orders of the NAM-1 adapter to EF mount.

This is however only an interim solution created for customers who have been pressuring us to introduce the product sooner even if it is less than perfect. We would refer to this as C645 Adapter Beta Lite to suggest that it is below the standards typical for other conurus products and services. We are introducing this product anyway in order to satisfy demand by customers who would rather not wait.

This conversion is now possible as we have just made some advances having discover the proper electrical interfaces. However the converted NAM-1 has a number of limitations. For instance, you cannot detach the 645 lens while the adapter is still attached to the camera body. You must detach both the adapter and the lens, change the lens, and then attach both back to the camera body.

Also, the Distagon 55/3.5 and Tele-Apotessar 350/4 are not supported, because we are unable to procure those 2 lenses ourselves for experimentation. Only 7 out of 9 lenses in the 645 line-up are supported.

[Edit 2010/07/06: all 9 lenses in the Contax 645 line-up are now supported, including the Distagon 55/3.5 and the Tele-Apotessar 350/4. Also supported is hot swap of 645 lens while NAM-1 is still attached to Canon camera body.]

Last edited by conurus on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
focusing.screen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This announcement is impressive good news to those who cannot wait longer. Just would like to know if the production plan of the expected better EF mount would be further delayed due to the introduction of NAM-1 conversion. I have great interest to know something more about the better mount as originally planned so as to think about if I am to send you my NAM-1 now. Thanks!
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, focusing.screen,

The short answer is, the standalone shift 645 adapter project is shelved (suspended indefinitely).

Negotiations with two other manufacturers trying to form a joint venture to produce the standalone shift 645 adapter have failed. They are both experienced, well established names in the industry, but they both commented that it would be too costly or too difficult to manufacture such a shift adapter and we would not be able to make any profits out of it.

Therefore, we decided to offer an interim solution even though it is not the ideal solution we originally envisioned. We thought that was in the best interest of everyone instead of waiting for something to happen.

We do not preclude the possibility that in the future we may strike a deal with a third manufacturer to make the standalone shift 645 adapter, but we would only be able to make a convincing case that this would be profitable if the sales of this interim solution is great.

coleung

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how many Nam-1 adaptor was produced by Contax? I believe all the Nam-1 adaptor in the world finally will be convered by Conurus.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We guessed the production numbers of N lenses by gathering serial numbers but there is no serial number on a NAM-1. We have no way to estimate the production numbers. I am not sure if Zeiss or Kyocera would provide that information.
wingwing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Nam 1 adaptor Reply with quote

$749 conversion is little bit on the high side.

I think $300 to $400 is a more a reasonable range.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingwing,

Thank you for your comment.

We are thinking of offering a NAM-1 conversion which supports only the Planar 2/80 at a significantly reduced price (i.e. the range you are thinking).

We also think it is not worth it to spend a grand on a converter if the Planar 2/80 is the only lens you are going to use.

We are in the process of investigating the logistics - there's got to be some way to tell the Planar 2/80-only version and the full version apart, even though both were made out of a NAM-1 and would look identical, or photographers will mix them up in the field and use the wrong adapter.

We are unable to price the full product at the price you are suggesting because it would only cause prices of Contax 645 lenses and the NAM-1 adapter to rise on the used market. Me and my staff have been spending many late nights to offer you these lens conversions and adaptations. When I see great photographs from our customers who put Contax autofocus lenses and Canon digital bodies into their professional use, we know our hard work is not done in vain. But if we see a Contax item on an auction site skyrocketing to an unaffordable level, that is impeding creativity but benefits no one other than speculative traders hoarding up lenses.

So to reconcile these two concerns, it seems to us that the best way is to split into a limited product and a full product, priced accordingly.

We think a Planar 2/80-only version would be an ideal candidate - but you are the customer - please let us know which lens you want the most! The Planar 2/80 is affordable and we think it is a great idea to pair it up with a more affordable adapter. It is small and light enough to be a part of an everyday outfit.

If you have another great idea on how to increase the number of Zeiss lenses reaching the hands of real photographers without causing the market price of used Contax lenses to further increase, we are all ears!
coleung

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nam-1 adaptor and C645 13mm extension tube, I want to keep the nam-1 adaptor. Is possible to convert the extension tube to EF mount adaptor?
Furthermore, what will happen if used 350/4 with the C645 Adaptor Beta Lite?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but our CNC-machined parts will fit on the NAM-1 only.

If you try to use the TAT350 or the D55, autofocusing would be inaccurate and there will be significant focusing errors. If you know of a reasonably-priced TAT350, and/or the Distagon 55/3.5, please let us know.
wingwing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: I have 55 and 350 Reply with quote

Hi Bird,

I have both 55 and 350. You can borrow (rent) mine to finish your Nam1 project but in return you convert my Nam-1 for free.

Is that a deal?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but we prefer to acquire our own 55/3.5 and 350/4. Otherwise we would not be confident enough to support our customers.

e.g. half a year later a customer reports a bug having to do with a 350/4, e.g. a focus accuracy complaint. We would not be able to respond and resolve a complaint like that unless we have the lens.

We have more than one copy of 35, 45, 120, 140 and 210, in case you wish to trade-in for a supported lens.
wingwing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

I have all 645 lenses.

I want to convert the Nam-1 now but for the high price of the conversion, i'll wait for a little longer for a complete full product.

Hope I can hear good news soon and price will drop to be a little bit more reasonable level.

Cheers..
icechan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
Sorry but we prefer to acquire our own 55/3.5 and 350/4. Otherwise we would not be confident enough to support our customers.

e.g. half a year later a customer reports a bug having to do with a 350/4, e.g. a focus accuracy complaint. We would not be able to respond and resolve a complaint like that unless we have the lens.

We have more than one copy of 35, 45, 120, 140 and 210, in case you wish to trade-in for a supported lens.

Hihi,

I found one 350 selling about US$4,500, not sure whether it is reasonable or not.... Confused
CVickery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

wingwing wrote:
I have all 645 lenses.

I want to convert the Nam-1 now but for the high price of the conversion, i'll wait for a little longer for a complete full product.

Hope I can hear good news soon and price will drop to be a little bit more reasonable level.

Cheers..

If you have all the 645 lenses then the NAM-1 conversion seems like a bargain compared to converting the N lenses. Confused It's just over $100 per lens since one NAM can be used for 7 different lenses.
coleung

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
Sorry but our CNC-machined parts will fit on the NAM-1 only.

If you try to use the TAT350 or the D55, autofocusing would be inaccurate and there will be significant focusing errors. If you know of a reasonably-priced TAT350, and/or the Distagon 55/3.5, please let us know.

I collected C645 lens after hearing your C645 adaptor scheme. After I missed a D55 in eBay last year, it is not easy to find another one. TAT350 is still available but it is not easy to justify whether the price is reasonable.
If it is no adverse effect, I think I can accept the drawback. I will send my adaptor to you ASAP and hope you can complete it ASAP too. Very Happy .

Furthermore, would you mind to share the photos by C645 lens on Canon body with us?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> 645 and 6x6 Medium Format All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: