conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Makro Sonnar 2,8/100 Sample

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Makro Sonnar 2,8/100 Sample Reply with quote

How does the Makro Sonnar 2,8/100 perform?

CRW_4846.JPG
 Description:
Original
 Filesize:  99.74 KB
 Viewed:  401358 Time(s)

CRW_4846.JPG

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  Canon Camera model  Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
ISO  200 Focal length  100mm
Shutter speed  1/50 seconds Aperture  f/7.1

CRW_4846_100_percent_crop.JPG
 Description:
100% crop
 Filesize:  357.6 KB
 Viewed:  401358 Time(s)

CRW_4846_100_percent_crop.JPG

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  Canon Camera model  Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
ISO  200 Focal length  100mm
Shutter speed  1/50 seconds Aperture  f/7.1
MomoInu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What aperture, and what (approximate) focus distance was this taken at? Also what camera did you use?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aperture was f/7.1. Distance was around 1m. A flash was used and that was a Metz 54 MZ-3. There was not enough depth-of-field - it would have been better if I had used f/16, but the flash wouldn't have had enough power for that. (I used bounce flash.) If I had cranked up the ISO so that I can use f/16, noise would have started to appear.

But all in all, look at the details of the reflection off the eyeballs! You could see furniture of the room in Joey's eyes.

The camera used was Digital Rebel 300D. By the way, from what I have heard, newer Canons have markedly improved colour reproduction.

Joey was moving around very quickly. AF was used because there was no way I could have manual-focused quickly enough.
MomoInu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I need to decide if I need the 100/f2.8 Makro Sonnar. I have the 120/f4.0 Makro Planar for the 645 and have assumed that I don't really need another macro (the 120 MP is really good). But it might be worth looking at the 100 MS. It's a shame you couldn't keep the dual zone AF feature on the lens in the conversion. That was an attractive aspect of the lens' design. (I've discovered recently that some of the long Canon telephotos have a similar feature).

I've got a Canon body here without any lenses that is waiting for your N-lens conversion kit to be ready.
conurus
Site Admin

Actually, the dual zone AF feature of Makro Sonnar works very well now on a Canon body and my FAQ was updated to reflect that.
MomoInu

Thanks. I guess I'll have to start looking for one.
conurus
Site Admin

Personally, I have mixed feelings about the Makro Sonnar 2,8/100. It is one of the sharpest in the N-mount line-up and has great colour and amazing three-dimensionality. It is solidly built, with a wide focusing ring which feels like a manual focus lens. It also has the dual zone AF function as you stated. However, its AF is slower and hunts more than any other lens in the N-mount line-up. In your particular situation, the differentiator between the 645 MP120 and the N MS100 is AF, but I personally do not think the AF of MS100 is good enough to justify a new purchase given you already have the MP120. There is a significant gap in AF performance between VS24-85, VS17-35, P85, etc. and MS100.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: