conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

photozone review of 85/1.4 N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: photozone review of 85/1.4 N Reply with quote

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/zeiss_85_14_canon/index.htm

24-85N and 70-300N to follow later this week.

-- Markus
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Review states:
The Zeiss lens showed impressively high resolution figures although it does not match the EF 85mm f/1.2 USM L here. The center performance is already very good at f/1.4 and excellent beyond. However, the border quality isn't quite on that level specifically at large apertures. At f/1.4 the borders are fairly soft and stopping down does gradually improve the resolution figures to very good levels by f/2.8 and up to an excellent peak at f/8.

The border performance could be a bit better at large apertures although this is probably not so much of a problem in real world images where you tend to place you subject at or near the center anyway and the center is very sharp straight from f/1.4.

Thanks, but I need to add this adbout the comments about edge sharpness: This lens was designed to be more of a portrait lens, hence the fall off in edge sharpness. It was not designed to repace the older 85/1.2CY, nor as competition for the canon 85/1.2. IOW, the decrease in edge performance is by design.
Freedolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why the verdict states:

"The border performance could be a bit better at large apertures although this is probably not so much of a problem in real world images where you tend to place you subject at or near the center anyway and the center is very sharp straight from f/1.4."

It is worth to notice in this context though that the 85L indeed gives better edge sharpness (this is naturally the lens most will compare the Zeiss to). This might well be of no interest to you if you're only shooting portraits, but the measurebators out there certainly care. Remember: photozone is a technical review site.

On the other hand, there's more important aspects to a lens than edge sharpness, especially if it's primarily a portrait lens.

In the end, I think the Zeiss does pretty well.

-- Markus
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus-

Is there any testing that reveals how many lines per millimter of resolution the lens delivers?
mwtphoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: what about 85 1.4 CY Reply with quote

I wonder how the contax N and canon compare to the CY 85 1.4. I use the CY 85 2.8 and love it as a portrait lens. Anyone ever seen a comparison of the contax n to the cy mounts?
Freedolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjlphoto wrote:
Is there any testing that reveals how many lines per millimter of resolution the lens delivers?

I honestly don't know.

-- Markus
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that Zeiss typically designs lenses to relove 200 l/mm and up. Their new Biogon 25/2.8 ZM has hit the 400 l/mm mark! And Canon, usually 90~110 l/mm.

The only reason I bring this up is that with the available sensors, I do not think we had yet to see the power of Zeiss lenses. With the new 1DsMKIII coming out, the differences may now become more readily apparent, with the Zeiss being able to deliver more to the sensor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: