conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sigma SA mount thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Sigma SA mount thread Reply with quote

To the best of our knowledge this is the first Zeiss lens to have autofocused on a Foveon-based camera

Last edited by conurus on Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:22 am; edited 2 times in total
geitekaas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am amazed to see these pictures.
I have a CZ 24~85 (had a ND as well but sold it) And a SD10 (though planning a SD 14 or 15).
Is it really possible to convert it so that one has AF and lightmeterig? I live in the Netherlands. I also have friends in America. When do new 'sales' start again?

Have a great one!

Geitekaas
oplar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I'd like to know CANON EFs 17-55 can be changed to SA mount or not.

Many thanks
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi geitekaas,

Yes, AF and metering work! We will reopen very soon and will notify all forum members by email when we are ready.

Hi oplar,

we are focused on converting Contax N mount lenses to either Canon EF mount or Sigma SA mount. We do not and have no plans to convert Canon EF lenses to Sigma SA mount. You are referred to this very comprehensive guide to converting other lenses to Sigma SA mount:

http://foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/SD14-NonSigmaLenses.htm

conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not enough interest/traffic to support a new Sigma SA mount forum so let's fold all posts into the main forum and keep only one sticky thread for all Sigma SA-related posts.

Appropriate replies to this thread includes everything which has or used to have a Sigma SA mount.

Examples:

Conversion of SD14 to Leica R or Nikon F mount
Conversion of Contax N lenses to Sigma SA mount
M42 to SA mount adapters
Talks about DP-1, DP-2 okay, too

Examples of what NOT to post here:

Sigma lenses in Pentax PK, Sony Alpha, Canon EF or Nikon F mount

Enjoy!
mikeolee

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Conurus

Since you can convert N lenses to SA mount, is it possible to convert SD-14 to N mount and maintain the autofocus and metering?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... we will not develop or make replacement parts for modifying camera bodies. Let me explain the rationale behind this,

Thank you for your question. We do not convert camera bodies and we have no plans to develop what you suggested, because of the following reasons.

1, the N-mount line-up has a limited selection and most likely you will have to supplement your system with Sigma SA lenses anyway, especially at the wide end, given the 1.7x crop factor of the camera.

2, the product life cycle of a camera body is very short (2 years for Sigma SD) compared to a lens. Research and development takes time and by the time we are finished, we are afraid the SD-14 would already have been obsolete and replaced by newer camera bodies.

3, for the exact same reason, it is more beneficial to you to not modify your camera body. That way you can upgrade your camera body to the latest and greatest without worrying about whether your lens collection will continue to function.
europanorama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: sigma sd-body to canon eos-mount-YES Reply with quote

oplar wrote:
Hello,

Many thanks

sd15 to eos= sd15 for zeiss(contax/yashica)
go to dpreview/sigma-forum(i am banned forever there!) someone with spanish name-guevara- has plans to convert sd15 to canon-eos. already did other conversions. this would enable us to use contax/yashica-lenses, e.g. the old zeiss ae or MM(same mount)
i have dslrexchange-adapters(not produced anymore) someone on ebay is offering chips(in korea) and another one also programming/flashing each his? adapter for each lens.
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo-Ming,

Since you are able to interface Contax N to both EOS and SD. How likely is it to create an adapter that will allow EF lenses be used on SD cameras while retaining the electronic contacts and features.

It does not make sense for those users with converted N lenses to start another collection with SA conversions. On the other hand, I am sure many would want to test these EF N lenses on the Foveon sensors.

Is such an EF-SA adapter possible?

conurus wrote:
Well... we will not develop or make replacement parts for modifying camera bodies. Let me explain the rationale behind this,

Thank you for your question. We do not convert camera bodies and we have no plans to develop what you suggested, because of the following reasons.

1, the N-mount line-up has a limited selection and most likely you will have to supplement your system with Sigma SA lenses anyway, especially at the wide end, given the 1.7x crop factor of the camera.

2, the product life cycle of a camera body is very short (2 years for Sigma SD) compared to a lens. Research and development takes time and by the time we are finished, we are afraid the SD-14 would already have been obsolete and replaced by newer camera bodies.

3, for the exact same reason, it is more beneficial to you to not modify your camera body. That way you can upgrade your camera body to the latest and greatest without worrying about whether your lens collection will continue to function.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean for example, this:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/675852

We have to keep in mind that the Sigma SA mount is electronically not an exact replica of Canon EF. We use different circuitry for Canon EF and Sigma SA, to optimize for the electrical characteristics of each mount. As a result, the converted lenses are not interchangeable. A Contax N lens converted to Canon EF lens mount may not function properly on Sigma SD14 body converted to Canon EF mount. Similarly, a Contax N lens converted to Sigma SA mount may not function properly on a Canon body even if you modify them to mate with each other.
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I am not refering to converting the mount of SD cameras to accomodate EF lenses. I am suggesting an adapter to adapt EF lenses to SA mount (like CY -> EOS but in this case EOS -> SD).

Since you are the expert, would it be possible to CNC an adapter, join the electrical contact on both sides and programme an eeprom to interface between the EOS and SD language.

I understand the similiar in flange distance is a problem. How about the rest, do-able?

conurus wrote:
I think you mean for example, this:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/675852

We have to keep in mind that the Sigma SA mount is electronically not an exact replica of Canon EF. We use different circuitry for Canon EF and Sigma SA, to optimize for the electrical characteristics of each mount. As a result, the converted lenses are not interchangeable. A Contax N lens converted to Canon EF lens mount may not function properly on Sigma SD14 body converted to Canon EF mount. Similarly, a Contax N lens converted to Sigma SA mount may not function properly on a Canon body even if you modify them to mate with each other.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the middle of that thread, a 1.4x teleconverter was modified to do what you are describing.

I am already very busy and sleep only 4-5 hours a day. Please understand that I will not be able to serve special requests or develop new products. Thank you for your understanding. I would suggest you talk to your local camera repairman which will probably be able to make what you want in a reasonable amount of time.
europanorama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Ef-SA Reply with quote

Guevara in sigma-forum of dpreview is working or promised to do on a conversion of new sigma sd15, exchanging camera mount.
sigmacumlaude.com
http://sigmacumlaude.com/yetanotherforum/
DSG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oplar wrote:
Hello,

Many thanks

Yes, most EF lenses can be converted to SA mount, but you will need a donar Sigma SA mount lens to supply the necessary SA mount and that could be hard to find.
I mangaged to obtain half a dozen SA mount's which I have used to convert C/Y and Nikon mount lenses to SA mount.
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: N50 and N70-200 to SA Reply with quote

I am interested to convert N50 and N70-200 to SA mount. I have the below few questions:

1) Can I convert them to either EF and purchase the SA mount and circuitry. I can't possibly send the lens to you when I need to switch the lens between cameras.

2) Have there been any N50 and N70-200 being converted to SA? How confident are you in having the lenses converted and produce quick AF and sharp images?

3) Have the conversions been tested on SD15?

4) Would I be able to upgrade the subsequent firmwares on my own?

5) How is the AF and metering performance compared to the Canon version?

[edit] I just read that N70-200 cannot be converted and that N50 has only 26% chance of conversion. Is this the same with SD15? Is this to do with Sigma supplied SA mounts being thicker? If so, why not fabricate your own SA mount?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: