conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returned lens mulfunction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Then there is no simple remedy but we will have to take a look at your lens. Thanks!
frank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bo-Ming,

I have sent it out to you this morning.

Thanks for your help,
Frank
morpheus2891

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: HELP: 24-85 AF problems Reply with quote

I have had this lens for 6+ months and its worked beautiful. About a week ago I turned the aperture ring to f22 to temporarily disable the AF so I could use it in MF for a few shots. Not thinking I then just put the camera away. Took it out yesterday and moved the aperture ring away from f22 and it will not AF... in any AF mode with the aperture ring set to any aperture. I put a canon lens on the same body (my 5D classic) and they still AF so its not the body. Any ideas? Am I missing something? Anyway to reset the lens or do you think my AF motor fried? If its fried how do I get it fixed and what is that going to run? Thanks for any help!
morpheus2891

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: 24-85 AF problems Reply with quote

just noticed the suggestion about turning the focus ring past infinity and min focus distance.... tried this and the lens slowly came back to life... first it tried AFing but just made a low wuring sound... then as I racked the focus ring back and forth it slowly came back... first it had to hunt for focus but then it started AFing normally. Does this mean my lens needs lube? Another kind of maintanance? Is there something I need to do? This is one of my favorite lenses and the thought of it becoming a brick sends shivers down my spine. Anything I can do to help prevent this in the future?

morpheus2891 wrote:
I have had this lens for 6+ months and its worked beautiful. About a week ago I turned the aperture ring to f22 to temporarily disable the AF so I could use it in MF for a few shots. Not thinking I then just put the camera away. Took it out yesterday and moved the aperture ring away from f22 and it will not AF... in any AF mode with the aperture ring set to any aperture. I put a canon lens on the same body (my 5D classic) and they still AF so its not the body. Any ideas? Am I missing something? Anyway to reset the lens or do you think my AF motor fried? If its fried how do I get it fixed and what is that going to run? Thanks for any help!
frank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bo-Ming,

I saw that my 24-85mm been modified with the the AF still 'F'. Does it mean that the AF failure can not be fixed, or the database has to be updated yet?

Thanks,
Frank
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repaired the AF of your 24-85 free of charge under our one-year ultrasonic motor warranty. Thank you for reminding us to update your record from 'F' (fail) to 'R' (repaired). It will ship out within a couple of days.
frank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bo-Ming,

This is exciting result. I am very glad that the lens can keep doing the AF, although it has been repaired by you.

I am just curious. Is the lens motor failed because of lacking of regular usage?

Yes, I see the tracking number as well which means that I am going to receive them very soon.

Thanks a lot,
Frank
tsukamos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Returned lens mulfunction Reply with quote

I sent 2 lens, 24-85 and 70-300, and received them yesterday. 70-300 works fine but was back with 3rd party front lens cap. I shipped out with original contax one.
Anyway problem is with 24-85. Aperture control itself works fine. But AF control does not work at all at any aperture position from f3.5 to f22 on lens body.

How to deal with this ? Give me any instruction. I already prepared EMS application form for return. Sad
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for the mistake concerning the lens cap and an original Contax lens cap was sent out to you by mail yesterday.

We always conduct careful AF testing on a 5D mark II before shipping every lens. Please attempt the instructions on page 1 and see if it helps. If not, please return your lens to us for rework. We will replace your lens' ultrasonic motor if it had failed, or lubricate your lens if the motor is still working.

Starting from 2010, we will lubricate all 24-85's regardless of whether they pass our already very stringent AF tests or not. This is to address the problem of customers receiving non-working lenses, despite the fact that we tested each and every single lens we ship very carefully.

tk45

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar AF issue. A 24-85mm I got back yesterday did not AF at first. The aperture was set at maximum. After a couple of tries it started to work. And it hasn't failed so far (in the past 24 hours)...
tsukamos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: AF still doesn't work Reply with quote

For may lens's case it didn't work. I shipped out 24-85 lens back to Conrus with 72mm incorrect front cap came back with 70-300mm lens same time. Please follow up.

conurus wrote:
I apologize for the mistake concerning the lens cap and an original Contax lens cap was sent out to you by mail yesterday.

We always conduct careful AF testing on a 5D mark II before shipping every lens. Please attempt the instructions on page 1 and see if it helps. If not, please return your lens to us for rework. We will replace your lens' ultrasonic motor if it had failed, or lubricate your lens if the motor is still working.

Starting from 2010, we will lubricate all 24-85's regardless of whether they pass our already very stringent AF tests or not. This is to address the problem of customers receiving non-working lenses, despite the fact that we tested each and every single lens we ship very carefully.
sinportjen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo-Ming,

My 24-85 has the same problem that AF doesn't work.
Should I send it back to you for lubrication?

I think it stop working when the temperature gets low (winter) as I can get it back to work by using a hair dryer to warm it up. Turning the focus rings past infinity and closest doesn't help.

Maybe it needs a thinner and more stable lubricant.
Or maybe 24/85 needs a different mod to be fully compatible
with Canon. I used it with Contax N1 for several years before
without any problem.

-- Allan

conurus wrote:

conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens was converted in January 2009 and was returned to us for repair after 11 months. We did not find any issue with the ultrasonic motor but we lubricated the lens and tested it on our 5D mark II before returning to you. We are sorry to hear that it still does not work for you.

Since 2006, we have converted more than 200 24-85's and a small percentage of them were defective on arrival when we tested them on our Contax N1. Some others stopped autofocusing a year or so after conversion. Our circuit board only translates digital commands - it could not possibly be the cause of an AF motor malfunction. However, we have chosen to invest significant time and money doing research and perform repairs in-house. After 2015 Contax Japan will no longer service them. We are stepping up to the challenge now so that when the inevitable comes we will be ready. We will not be able to repair every problem after 2015 but we are aware of and have found solutions to the most common weak points for each Contax N lens.

For the 24-85, we have developed 3 service procedures: 1, ultrasonic motor replacement, 2, lubrication, and 3, using a lathe to turn certain helicoil parts to move more smoothly against each other.

When a defective 24-85 reaches us, we first conduct a no-load test: the ultrasonic motor is detached from the focusing shaft and if it still does not move when there is no load, then it is an ultrasonic motor failure and it is replaced. Otherwise there is a mechanical issue with the focusing mechanisms and lubrication is applied, or in extreme case, we use a lathe to modify some parts so that they move more smoothly.

We use a light lithium grease for lubrication which is stable and does not dissipate away. We did experiment with a thinner lubricant as you suggested (e.g. Mobil 1 motor oil as you suggested in the email you sent us). If a large amount is used, it does make the focusing mechanism exceptionally smooth and fixes any mechanical issues very well. However, oil could move around and spill to undesirable spots and does not meet the "stable" requirement. Our choice for a much thicker grease is in line with standard camera repair practice.

Unfortunately we broke our lathe recently and could not attempt our third resolution, but that method was very rarely used to begin with, except as a last resort.

We have been developing a fourth method to fix autofocus issues over the last few months. We will be investing a significant amount of money on this (a budget in the US$ low 5-digits) but I am not able to disclose what exactly it is yet, except that it will take us a few more months of research to finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: