conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about orders, tracking, queue position
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwtphoto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: new n conversions Reply with quote

glad to hear that you are taking time to be with your family - that is the most important thing you could do. Do you expect to be adding any other n lens for conversion in the near future or will that be done when you get back.

mark
MCTuomey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: First Conversion Order - Advice Needed Reply with quote

Forgive what is probably/hopefully just newbie angst. I shipped my newly acquired 24-85 to Bo-Ming September 24th from Michigan. What tracking information I can obtain from the USPS indicates "attempted delivery" early this week. I have checked the conurus database tracker and received the "not entered" response, so I'm assuming it's not in conurus' possession. Since it is now approaching two weeks, should I be contacting the U.S. Postal Service for remedial action?

Depressive in Detroit,
Mike
CVickery

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo-Ming doesn't run to the post office each time a lens arrives. I suspect he's just busy and hasn't had a chance to get out to pick up the lens. I had the same thing happen to my lens when I shipped it to him. He picked it up in a couple of days and all was fine. Don't forget lens conversion is not his full time occupation.
Papathanassiou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a good question, so is it usual practice for Bo-Ming to pick up the lens from the Post Office? I am not stupid, just a bit green to know what the procedure is, I will be shortly sending a lens in for conversion. Thanks. appreciate a reply.
MCTuomey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassurance, CV. I'll settle down now Smile I know conversion work is not Bo-Ming's full-time occupation, but didn't understand the delivery drill.

Papathanassiou, I'll post back when Bo-Ming confirms the lens is in his possession so you have some idea of the transit time.
pops

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choice of trusting Bo-Ming or trusting the postal service - here goes -
Early this summer I sent 3 lenses by USPS to Bo-Ming - they were held by Canadian Customs for a month (I'm guessing because 3 lenses carry the max. insurance) before Bo-Ming was able figure a way to find out how to get customs -(for a fee) to release the lenses back to Canada Post (the same day he paid the fee) and was able to effectively free the lenses.
I had in the meantime sent tracers to USPS and Canada Post and neither was able to help because once the lenses are in customs there's nothing either could do. I've discovered the best thing we've got going here is Bo-Ming. Waiting for him to pick up a lens is now a relative pleasure.

In my office I told the story as Bo-Ming vs. the lens blackmailers.

KP
________
Mercedes-Benz M102 Engine Specifications

Last edited by pops on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
MCTuomey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pops, did you provide the external customs labelling that Bo-Ming recommends in the FAQ? my understanding is that goods shipped for repair or rework will be released fairly promptly through CA customs.
CVickery

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got an "attempted delivery" notice customs isn't the issue. The notice is just what it says, they tried to deliver but no one was there to take the package. It's returned to the postal station and will wait there until it's picked up. My expereince is though that often the delivery person doesn't really try to deliver, just makes out the pick up card and delivers that. It saves them time and they don't have to carry so much.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin that is exactly right. The delivery person never really delivered any packages to me. They always just leave me a pick up card. That way they save time and not having to carry so much weight.
MCTuomey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
Thanks Calvin that is exactly right. The delivery person never really delivered any packages to me. They always just leave me a pick up card. That way they save time and not having to carry so much weight.

Thanks for the clarification, everyone. Weight, eh? It must be the excellent build and heft of those Zeiss lenses ...
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCTuomey wrote:
pops, did you provide the external customs labelling that Bo-Ming recommends in the FAQ? my understanding is that goods shipped for repair or rework will be released fairly promptly through CA customs.

Mr. Pops used the declaration in the FAQ verbatim but sometimes customs hire newbies (not mentioning the obvious fact that every custom officer was once a newbie). Veteran customs officers know about temporary importations and wouldn't have caused such hindrance.

MCTuomey wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, everyone. Weight, eh? It must be the excellent build and heft of those Zeiss lenses ...

Yes. Below a certain quantity, it is more economical to machine parts from aluminum than to use injection-molded plastic. Most Contax N series lenses are produced in limited quantities. All structural parts are made of metal, including the focusing helicoil, which accounts for the slower focusing than other brands which employ plastic for the focusing mechanism to gain higher speed. Contax N lenses can achieve tighter tolerances and therefore give consistent quality over a wider range of conditions.

(The only exception is the N 28-80/3.5-5.6 which, as the mass-produced member of the N series, has significantly more plastic content, and as a result, much lighter.)

MCTuomey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papathanassiou, for your info, my lens was picked up by Bo-Ming and entered into the tracking system over the weekend which is apprx 2 weeks' transit time from Michigan.
Papathanassiou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Mike,
I have the lens purchased from Mr Ian Hobday (Japan) and t's a beaut!just waiting to finalize the Paypal account then I will post to Bo-ming.Just hope it gets there before Bo-Ming takes his break. Thanks for taking the time to reply. All the best Papa.
stevenpa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCTuomey wrote:
Papathanassiou, for your info, my lens was picked up by Bo-Ming and entered into the tracking system over the weekend which is apprx 2 weeks' transit time from Michigan.

Mike, how much of that two weeks was spent at Canadian customs?

My package (coming from South Korea) was held at Canadian customs for 4 days plus a weekend for a total of 10 days, plus an extra two days for a total of 12 before Bo-Ming picked it up from the post office. I send things to Canada by EMS regularly and this was by far the longest wait I've experienced. I wonder if it has anything to do with the "temporary importation" notice Bo-Ming has us affix to the address label.
MCTuomey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, as far as I can tell from the USPS tracking info and the feedback from Bo-Ming on Canada Post, my pkg spent about 4 days in Canadian Customs. That's better than the last two pkgs I posted to Canada which were tied up in Customs for about a week each (no temporary importation advice used).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: