conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

contax zeiss 50 f/1.4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazeazn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: contax zeiss 50 f/1.4 Reply with quote

Conurus,

Do you support this lense at this time or no? If not, will it be in the near future? It seems that I maybe able to get my hands on one, and it is dependent upon you being able to convert! Thanks a bunch

John
crazeazn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping to see?
stevenpa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people are waiting to see what lens Conurus will support next. Whichever one it is, I doubt it will be available for a while. Then there's the month or more turnaround time necessary for conversion. Willing to wait that long? I guess Zeiss is worth it. Wink

Have you handled a N50/1.4? I was surprised at how big and heavy it is. I also wasn't impressed with the focus ring (...who would be on an AF lens though). Not trying to dissuade you from getting the N50/1.4, but this lens isn't on the top of my list. I want primes to be as compact as possible, and this one isn't. It's much bigger and heavier than its Canon counterpart if I'm remembering correctly.
crazeazn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the canon 50 1.4 is small.

however, i figure more glass = better image quality Twisted Evil
John Black

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven - I agree that the Canon 50/1.4 is admirable for its price and size; however, I never keep it. I tend to gravitate towards lenses with more of their own unique fingerprint. It's as much about the focal length (and aperture) as it is about how the lens renders the scene. The Canon 50L F1.2 renders a bolder, richer scene by far, but the POS can't focus for beans (tried two). The Canon 50 1.4 has never produced an image (for me) that had a "wow" effect. Fine lens, but no character.

So, count me as one of the guys who's waiting for Bo-ming to say the 50 1.4 conversions are ready to go. I've owned the Zeiss and Leica's 50's too (even in the M mount). Great lenses too - especially the Lecia 50mm summicron (latest version), but for a 50mm (on full-frame) I prefer an auto lens since the 50 tends to be walk-around type of focal length for me.

Bo-ming has been silent on the 50mm conversions, so I'm guessing there are some technical challenges.
Andi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nethertheless it would be nice to have an update on the conversion scedule of this lens
stevenpa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Please don't interpret my comments about the N50/1.4 as praise for the Canon. I've never wanted the EF 50/1.4 and don't think I ever will. Rather, I was trying to imply that 67mm threads for a 50/1.4 lens is getting to be a bit much. And the lens weighs, if I'm remembering correctly, a lot. I guess we can call that superior build quality. Cool

Also, I agree with your comments about the "fingerprint" qualities of a lens. I've been using an OM 50/1.4 for a while now and find it quite nice in that regard; it's different than my regular Canon/Zeiss/Leica line up. It's also small, which is something I value in a lens at this focal length.
John Black

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven -

I didn't interpret your comments one way or the other in regards to the Canon 50/1.4. For $300 it's a fine lens, but it's like a Honda Accord. It does what you ask of it, but nobody will bother to take a second look at it.

The new 50L F1.2 actually has a nice pop to it, but the AF is the worst Canon lens I've ever tried. The focus shift bug is really bad and I don't understand how the R&D guys missed it.

I've considered the Zuiko 55/1.2 (think it's 55mm), but I really don't want to add yet another manual lens. Fully manual lenses are fine in limited doses, but the stop down metering gets old fast.

I've also been considering the 50L F1.0, but financially it's too expensive. Still, if F1, F1.2 and F1.4 were really, really good... then maybe... I'd prefer to try a Contax 50/1.4N first.
stevenpa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Yes, the N50 is most certainly something to try if AF is a key concern. I'm also starting to find that I value AF more than I thought I did for a growing number of applications, and your right that is has almost everything to do with stop down metering.

I had the OM 55/1.2 a while ago and found that MF at 1.2 was just too difficult to control (DOF), so I switched to the OM 50/1.4, which is a fine lens. The 50/1.2 lens also goes from 1.2 to 2 (1 and 1/3 stops) which I didn't like. Had there been an f/1.6 or 1.8 in there, I probably would have kept it.

On something slightly unrelated, I've recently had thoughts of moving to Nikon once they release a full frame half body (not the D3 - too big) as they've got that nice new Zeiss glass, which of course stops down automatically, but it'd be hard to say goodbye to all my great Contax (C/Y and N) and Leica stuff. I have a feeling it's a move I'll eventually make though. I'd like to see Zeiss come out with a ZF 35-70 that equals or betters the C/Y version. That'd be the clincher for me.
John Black

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CZ 28/2 and 100/2 --- both now re-invented in the ZF format. The D3 is quite tempting because of those lens options - plus the newer 50's too. On the other hand I already have the lenses and they are a known quantity on the 1Ds2, so what does a D3 really add? Auto exposure, but anything else??? I've been stuck in this logical loop for 3 months!!! Smile

Overall I think the most interesting potential contender could be Sony if they offer full-frame. With the Zeiss lenses in the ZS plus the AF Sony/Zeiss lenses, there's alot of options there. Sony just needs to come up with a full-frame body that performs well. But that's vaporware at best.

At some point I'll probably switch to medium format, but the irony of that is - to get some of Zeiss design/lenses to work in a Mamiya or H-series mount means 1) possibly adapters, and/or 2) full manual operation with stop down metering! Spend all that money and it comes right back to manual focus and stop down metering... Another loop I've been stuck in for a year Smile

Hopefully Canon will wake up and realize it's to their advantage to work with Zeiss on the ZF lenses. Those that buy a ZC (making that up) would probably only have 1 or 2, and of the total Canon dSLR user base that's probably only 1%. There's very little risk to Canon, but being open to Zeiss means people won't go to Nikon. And I'm completely perplexed as to how Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Vivatar, Voigtlander and other uber cheap lens makes can do it (Phoenix!), but not Zeiss???

Totally off topic here, but I wonder Bo-ming could code the 50N to have the same EXIF ID as a Canon 50/1.4 - thus tricking DPP 3.2 into think it's a 50/1.4 and opening up the lens corrections. DPP's new lens corrections are very impressive. I know the corrections wouldn't be consistent with Contax 50N, but having the option to experiment couldn't hurt.
stevenpa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to continue on this wild tangent... Cool

Some interesting thoughts, John. My decision is a bit easier as I've been there with the 1Ds and won't go back to the weight again, so the D3 is out. My agony is probably just being postponed though, as I'm sure I'll be more than tempted with a FF D300, or whatever it'll be called.

It's funny that you mention Voigtlander because I've just made arrangements to buy the APO-Lanthar 125/2.5 macro in EF mount. I'll have it on Monday and I'm pretty excited to try it out. I don't currently have a macro lens, and this one goes to 1:1 and gets some pretty good reviews. If it also performs well at infinity, it's a long-term keeper.

You're right that it's too bad Canon won't work with Zeiss, and it is a bit confusing as to why. I have some thoughts about this, and maybe you can give me some feedback. The Tamron, Sigma, et al. lenses are reverse engineered, are they not? I don't think Zeiss want to do this (they're Zeiss!) thought they could, and Canon won't release the protocols. I don't believe Canon's reluctance is for quality reasons either (L versus Zeiss), because the vast majority of people would choose L's with AF over Zeiss anyway. It's almost like Canon just doesn't want to work with other companies.

Good thinking on the N50 coded with Canon's 50/1.4 protocols. I'm not too interested in DPP and find the new lens correction feature cumbersome to use (so I don't), but it's only going to keep getting better.
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenpa wrote:
Well to continue on this wild tangent... Cool
....it's too bad Canon won't work with Zeiss, and it is a bit confusing as to why....

Because one purchase of a Zeiss EF lens means one less sale for Canon of a Canon EF lens. Pure and simple business.

Nikon was getting out of the manual focus lens business anyway, so there was less of a threat of lost business to them. But if Zeiss wanted to partner with Nikon only for fully AF lenses, I doubt that Nikon would have allowed that to happened. Hence all the reverse engineered lenses by Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc.

(BTW, reverse engineering is legal if it is done to create compatibility, which is exactly the case of a lens-smith making lenses that fit and work on a Canon body.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: