conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exposure Advice For 17-35 N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnswickard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Exposure Advice For 17-35 N Reply with quote

I just returned Sunday from a trip to Los Cabos. I took the majority of my Pictures with a 5D and the 24-85 N--the exposures were very good. The photos I took with 17-35 N were underexposed by 1.5 to 2 stops. Embarassed
How should I be setting the camera to obtain proper exposure?
DJ et al thanks in advance,
Jack
DJGarcia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack,

I use spot metering and then use the exposure bias adjustment to place the metered spot in the exposure zone range I want it. That of course will depend on the specific image, and I do wish the 1Ds2 (and 3 when I get it Very Happy) had +- 5 EV range rather than the 3 EV range it has, but it's sufficient most of the time.

I haven't found a need to change anything between the 17-35 and the other N lenses. Your situation sounds a bit strange. On a related but different matter, I always check my exposures with the camera histogram immediately (and that's probably another whole thread), to prevent unpleasant surprises when I get home Smile.
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metering with super-wides can be tricky. Often there is lots of sky in the scene which can fool the meter. I'll pay closer attention to my 17~35-N and see if I am experiencing any irregularities.

[/list]
jnswickard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ and JJ,
I was not descriptive of the photographic situation. The photos were taken near the pools by the sea at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar in Los Cabos. It was a week and a half ago and the photos were taken around an hour before sunset. Further the pools have a lot of dark vegitation.
Point being that between the bright sky and the darker areas we are talking about a lot of contrast. I agree that the extreme wide angle has contributed to this. I also suspect that working with spot meter mode and fudging the meter would likely help.
I am certainly interested in the experience of other members in working with wide lenses.
Jack
stevenpa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

Invest in a Cokin (or similar) GND 2-stop filter set. If you go with Cokin, you'll have to get the Z series as the P series only goes up to 82mm thread sizes and vignettes heavily at the extreme wide end of my 17-40L, which is a 77mm thread. Vignetting doesn't disappear completely until 22mm or so, even when I take off the B+W UV filter and attach the Cokin special wide hood adapter to the lens. It's unlikely that you'll have these problems with the much larger Z series, though I've not tried Z series yet. (Will have to if I get an N17-35 converted).

Anyway, with the Cokin, you'll instantly notice improvement in the evenness of exposure for the high contrast situation you described above. There are some scenes that a GND can't cover, like if only the center of the frame is very bright, but if you're talking sunsets and the like, a relatively small investment in an adjustable filter set will give you the results that you want, I bet. One caveat though, metering issues abound if you're not careful, but for tripod use, the slow deliberation of getting things set up, compositionally and on the histogram, is well worth the end result in my experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: