conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

17-35 Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: 17-35 Conversion Reply with quote

Why is the 17-35 so much more ($300) than the other conversions???javascript:emoticon('Shocked')
Do you reduce the protruding tab so it won't cause the mirror damage to the Canon body??
MomoInu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem to me that since there are so few 17-35 S lenses around, you are spreading youe development and other fixed costs across fewer potential lenses for conversion so you need to charge more. Each conversion is different. The original lens mount assemblies on the Contax N lenses are different (some are similar enough) so different conversions need to be developed for them. There may be other factors involved as well.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up not cutting the protruding tab of the 17-35 short.

The tab does not interfere with the mirror if the lens is fully attached. When the lens is fully attached to the camera body the protruding tab sits near the bottom of the mirror chamber and therefore is not in the mirror's path.

In the end, the choice is yours. I could cut that protruding tab for you if you so choose, but if you prefer not to have any cuttings, simply make sure you do not trip the shutter unless the lens is fully attached.

As for why the 17-35 conversion is more expensive, the 17-35 conversion is in fact more labour intensive, because there is an extra step to manually make a cable relief notch on the conurus mount. In addition to that you would be paying more for the development cost because that is amortized over a fewer number of units as MomoInu stated.

Think of it this way. My customers are collectively "hiring" me to spend 2 years on research to make this possible, and they are splitting the development cost among them. So, a smaller number of customers means each will have to pay me more. Conversely, a large number of customers means each would pay me less.

Teddifish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're trying to become more customers, we just can't find the lenses. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: