conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great News! Metabones BT5 with V0.56 Supports AF for conurus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joezhou98

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Great News! Metabones BT5 with V0.56 Supports AF for conurus Reply with quote

I just got a metabones EF-E Smart Adapter V (BT5) which just became available recently on amazon and Taobao (in China)
https://www.amazon.com/Metabones-Canon-Mount-Smart-Adapter/dp/B0716RHXRB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497025905&sr=8-1&keywords=metabones+bt5
on the supported lenses list Contax N Lenses are nowhere to be found. A previous topic in this forum regarding Metabones adapter AF support of Conurus converted Contax N lenses as late as March 2015 also suggested AF not supported, so I had no expectation. I knew Conurus has worked with Metabones on EF to NEX adapters as early as 2012 but I don't believe there has been AF support for Conurus converted N lenses (please let me know if I am wrong). When checking with the newest firmware update V0.56's benefits and improvement, however, very much to my surprise, I found the following:
Compatibility fix for Contax N lenses modified by Conurus Canada on CINE Smart Adapter, CINE Speed Booster, Mark V and Speed Booster ULTRA II.
I could not wait to try it. With the firmware is up to date. I quickly tried all three conurus converted N Lenses 17-35mm, 24-85mm and 70-300mm with the Metabones adapter BT5 and my A7RII. AF for 17-35mm lens worked without a glitch. AF for 24-85mm lens wobbled a lot. On the 24mm end it worked but on 85mm end not quite. AF for 70-300mm wobbled back and forth but could not focus. It did not work at all.
I reattached micro USB 2.0 cable to the adapter with a lens attached and run metabones App again and found I did not set the adapter to advanced mode. After I set it to advanced mode and tried all three lenses again, all three lenses worked very smoothly.
I can now use all my three Conurus converted Contax N lenses on my Canon 5DSR and my Sony A7RII.
This is very exciting news especially for my Sony A7RII. With metabones adapter BT5, not only I can use all my canon lenses, now all of sudden, Conurus converted Contax N lenses found a new exciting purpose.
I am very happy!

Joe Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
joezhou98

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Metabones BT4 which is one version earlier, only manual focus are supported for selected Contax N lenses modified by Conurus: 17-35/2.8, 24-85/3.5-4.5, 28-80/3.5-5.6, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 100/2.8. Manual focus is too painful for me. I would not bother.
For Metabone BT5, based on metabones web page, selected Contax N lenses modified by Conurus are supported for phase -detect AF, including 17-35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/3.5-4.5, and 85mm f/1.4. Two out of three my contax lenses 24-75mm and 70-300mm are not on support list.

with updated firmware, they are now all confirmed AF supported.

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: