conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF lens controller - module for other adapters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Feature Enhancement Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: EF lens controller - module for other adapters. Reply with quote

I realize there are more camera/lens combinations that people might want to build adapters for than you can afford to design and produce, but have you considered making a simple module that could be affixed to any arbitrary mechanical adapter that would allow EF lens aperture control?

The parts might be like a plate with electrical contacts that would be affixed in the right spot inside the lens mount, a thin wire that could go through a hole drilled in one's adapter housing to a control module that could be affixed to the exterior of the mount adapter.

I ask because I'm really interested in a micro 4/3 camera (the olympus E-P1) and I already have an EOS system with some high quality lenses that I'd love to use. I think someone has produced EOS-m4/3 adapters, they're just dumb tubes - mechanical link only, I'd have to shoot wide open. A module with power and aperture control would be incredibly nice - even just something stupid like a couple of push buttons to increment aperture up and down. I figure something like this could be produced by you relatively easily, and then it would be up to the crazy end user to try to mount it on a mechanical adapter for whatever camera they prefer. I'm not sure of the power requirements but I'd guess a pretty low capacity battery could drive the aperture mechanism, no? Maybe a couple of button cells or something.

Thoughts? Doing it this way would save you having to build a dedicated adapter - this would be a more universal solution for anybody wanting to stick an EOS lens on something (though I guess there aren't many cameras with a compatible lens flange distance... maybe a couple of rangefinders and the 4/3 and m4/3 systems).

Hell, you'd probably even be able to sell EF to m4/3rds adapters pretty easily too... I think a lot of people love the form factor of the E-P1 and would love to use their lenses. I don't know for sure though.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a ready-made product, NOT made by us, called an EF232 adapter, doing exactly what you suggested. It looks like there is enough room for a micro 4/3 mount.

http://www.vision-systems.com/articles/article_display.html?id=236708

Also there is the Redrock Micro M2 adapter (again, NOT us). Scroll down a bit and find "Live Lens(tm) Active Lens Mount for Canon EF lenses". The picture looks like a standalone mount ring with a stop down button and an open up button, which again is exactly what you suggested.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/lensadapter/index.html

If you decide to try these, let us know if you succeed or not. Thanks!
kinematic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: m43 Adapters Reply with quote

I noticed that this message thread is old, but I thought I'd revive it by asking if there's any new development/progress or just to show interest in this.

I am an EOS shooter that just recently delved into the world of Micro 4/3 via E-P3. Currently using a Kipon EOS to M43 adapter. Would love to see an electronic interface that works with my EOS lenses on the Pen.

I live across the water from you in Victoria, so nice to know that this kind of development is so close to me. Hey if it is convenient, I'd be happy to offer up whatever resources needed to help in developing this kind of research.

Regards
Terry Lam
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry,

Thanks for joining us! As you may have noticed, we are focusing on Sony NEX at this point. As a tiny company, we can only focus on one thing at a time. After our NEX adapter is put on the market, we will make a decision on what to work on next.

Product suggestions are very welcome but we are not able to make any promises. We always try our best to satisfy everybody's needs but it always involves making tough choices and working many long late nights.
asimo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like the EF232 but more compact would be nice and possibly power by a portable battery?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metabones has already introduced a full-line of Canon lens to Micro Four Thirds adapters, with autofocus and a lot more.

http://metabones.com/products/?c=micro-43-system-2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Feature Enhancement Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: