conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedbooster and Converted N 24-85

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taynos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Speedbooster and Converted N 24-85 Reply with quote

If I get Conurus to convert Contax N 24-85 will it interface properly with Metabones Speedbooster. Wouldn't Speed booster make the lens effectively a (19mm-60mm) I plan to use the lens for video / digital cinema uses on a Sony FS700.

I do not need auto focus. (When Shooting Video with Speedbooster)
I want to be able to adjust aperture manually and not from the camera.

How long would it take to convert this lens?

Thanks in advance!
rimmy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedbooster and Converted N 24-85 Reply with quote

It's no problem to work with Metabones Speedbooster after conversion. Speed Booster increases maximum aperture by 1 stop, increases MTF and makes lens wider by a factor of 0.71x.

The aperture of a Contax N mount lens cannot be operated unless the camera body sends the lens the proper commands. Although there is an aperture ring on every Contax N-mount lens, that aperture ring is "fly by wire" and does not directly control the aperture diaphragm inside the lens. If there is no aperture control and the lens always shoots wide open. Without the necessary electronics, a Contax N-mount lens lens would not stop down on a camera body.

The turnaround time right now is within 3 mths, it will be vary depending on order in hand.
taynos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedbooster and Converted N 24-85 Reply with quote

rimmy wrote:
It's no problem to work with Metabones Speedbooster after conversion. Speed Booster increases maximum aperture by 1 stop, increases MTF and makes lens wider by a factor of 0.71x.

The aperture of a Contax N mount lens cannot be operated unless the camera body sends the lens the proper commands. Although there is an aperture ring on every Contax N-mount lens, that aperture ring is "fly by wire" and does not directly control the aperture diaphragm inside the lens. If there is no aperture control and the lens always shoots wide open. Without the necessary electronics, a Contax N-mount lens lens would not stop down on a camera body.

The turnaround time right now is within 3 mths, it will be vary depending on order in hand.

Thank you so much for clarifying this. I will start the process of either converting a lens or finding one on the market that has already been converted. And will report back with IQ tests with my particular set up.
N 24-85 > Speedbooster > NEX FS-700

Thanks again.
kavenzmann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to buy a converted 24-85N and use it on my Sony video camera on top of a speed booster/smart adapter which I already own.

I tried a used 24-85, which was converted to EF by you and faced the following problems:
While it was working on my Smart Adapter II, it did not even fit physically on my speedbooster. The EF mount on the 24-85 just was a little to big to fit into the very stiff EF mount of the speedbooster.

I went to a mechanic to measure and he said that the converted EF mount
was not perfectly round and therefore does not fit into the speed booster, which
by the way accepts any EF lens I tried.

The 24-85N has the following serial-no: 12703205

What can be done now so that the 24-85N will fit again?

If it will fit physically, does the converted 24-85N support distance information, that
will be shown in the display of my Sony FS100/FS7 in advanced mode?
Do I need a newer firmware for this?

I realized a certain play when I use MF on the 24-84N before the ring really changes
the focus distance. Is this normal?

THX a lot!
rimmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send us a email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: