conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there pins I can tape to give me manual aperture control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docmaas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Are there pins I can tape to give me manual aperture control Reply with quote

I have the 24-85 with firmware 3.14h. I posted earlier about the lens not working on a nex 7 with the metabones v. 1. http://conurus.com/forum/post4086.html?sid=95eebc92c5d141de5d4b020651a4e616

I did get new springs for the metabones but the aperture still cannot be set reliably. I see here: http://conurus.com/forum/post4086.html?sid=95eebc92c5d141de5d4b020651a4e616
that the aperture can be manually set as described. Is there a combination of contacts that can be taped so that manual aperture is available.

The lens focus motor does not function and I wish to use the lens focusing manually.

If I were to buy another 24-85 can the conurus work be moved from the current lens to a new lens?

I may be using the lens on the new sony A7r and a Sigma SD1 that has been converted to a canon mount. The lens aperture is not able to be set reliably on the Sigma nor on other canon bodies either.

thanks,

Mike
docmaas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Lens does not function Reply with quote

Lens is now not functioning at all. I tried taping the contacts so that it only uses power and ground connections but it makes no difference.

I suspect that the lens is not getting power. The camera looks the same in the viewfinder without any lens as it does with the 24-85 connected.

It looks like a repair is in order. I'm wondering again if the conversion work can be transferred to another lens.

thanks,

Mike
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

The 24-85 has 2 weak points which could fail (keeping in mind that by now the lens could be 13 years old). A ultrasonic motor failure could cause the AF to stop functioning. The aperture diaphragm is connected by a flex cable which could break from repeated zooming. It is rare for both failures to occur in the same lens but it could happen. If both fails it would indeed be more economical to just transplant the conurus circuitry to a different 24-85. Please email your serial number to coneos@conurus.com and we will review the modification history of your lens.

We could update the firmware of your Metabones adapter to the latest version, too, at the same time when we service your lens.

docmaas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo-ming,

The serial on 24-85 is 12697856.

The focus motor does not work and didn't when I bought the lens. The aperture setting was flaky on the sony nex7 with the gen1 metabones adapter. I got new springs from metabones but while it did improve things it still was not working consistently.

Now it's not working at all as I said.

Can you give me an idea of how much the transplant would be?

thanks,

Mike
docmaas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a new lens and had a local repair shop do the transplant.

They are telling me it only works on f8. Do you have any suggestion or idea as to why it would do this?

I have a two week window to return the new lens so I'd appreciate any suggestions asap.

thanks,

Mike

conurus wrote:
Hi Mike,

The 24-85 has 2 weak points which could fail (keeping in mind that by now the lens could be 13 years old). A ultrasonic motor failure could cause the AF to stop functioning. The aperture diaphragm is connected by a flex cable which could break from repeated zooming. It is rare for both failures to occur in the same lens but it could happen. If both fails it would indeed be more economical to just transplant the conurus circuitry to a different 24-85. Please email your serial number to coneos@conurus.com and we will review the modification history of your lens.

We could update the firmware of your Metabones adapter to the latest version, too, at the same time when we service your lens.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

f/8 is an error code. (If it gets fixated at f/8 but cannot be changed.) The chip might have been blown up during the transplant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: