conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Needed Speedbooster on EA50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Metabones Speed Booster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mako7784

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Help Needed Speedbooster on EA50 Reply with quote

Hello there,

I have been searching the forums but I think I have stumbled across an issue that is not well documented: I have just received my Metabones Speedbooster but it behaves rather weirdly.

When I turn on the Camera with the Speedbooster attached the image freezes on the Sony Logo and after a while it shows the image. I cannot control the Aperture - in fact the Adapter doesn't really seem to respond at all. When I look up the Version in the menu, I can sometimes see Ver. 24 and sometimes just --.

I saw that Steven Diggis over at dvinfo had a similar problem and you managed to trace down the problem. What was it in the end? Would it be the same for me? Will I have to get an exchange? Or am I just missing something? Please let me know asap - maybe it can save my shoot tomorrow...

Thank you so much for your help

Martin
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other problem at dvinfo had been tracked down to a fault with his EA50 camera body. We sent a working Sony LA-EA2 and a working Sony A-mount 55-200 to him for testing to show that a complete Sony-only setup with no Metabones involved also exhibited random unreliable behaviour, thereby demonstrating it is the camera body which is at fault.

Ver 24 had a new check to require rock-solid stable power from the camera body or the adapter would just hang and stop all operation. Hindsight being 20/20, in retrospect, this new check was too heavy-handed, and a small percentage of camera bodies are unable to pass this check. Since Ver 27 the internal camera power supply management is much improved, with all the previous benefits but none of the glitches. So, a firmware update may address the issue you are experiencing.

As a potential workaround, you may try and see if it works any better in Advanced mode, by first turning on the camera, and while holding down the WO button of the adapter, attach the adapter or lens. This may or may not improve things.

Sorry for not replying to this sooner but I have been busy delivering this Ver 27 fix. Please contact Metabones technical support to arrange for a RMA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Metabones Speed Booster All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: