conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sigma SA mount thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: N50 and N70-200 to SA Reply with quote

ManWearPants wrote:
I am interested to convert N50 and N70-200 to SA mount. I have the below few questions:

1) Can I convert them to either EF and purchase the SA mount and circuitry. I can't possibly send the lens to you when I need to switch the lens between cameras.

2) Have there been any N50 and N70-200 being converted to SA? How confident are you in having the lenses converted and produce quick AF and sharp images?

3) Have the conversions been tested on SD15?

4) Would I be able to upgrade the subsequent firmwares on my own?

5) How is the AF and metering performance compared to the Canon version?

[edit] I just read that N70-200 cannot be converted and that N50 has only 26% chance of conversion. Is this the same with SD15? Is this to do with Sigma supplied SA mounts being thicker? If so, why not fabricate your own SA mount?

1, I would suggest against it as switching between EF and SA requires an experienced technician trained by me or it would pose stress to the lens probably shortening its life.

2, No I have not tried it, because I have never received a firm order for those. The 50/1.4 has a 26% chance of success because we will have to find a 0.3mm copper shim inside to be able to convert to Sigma SA. 70-200 is not supported because of an incompatible screw pattern, but we may be able to work around that with some custom fabrication work.

3, No.

4, No.

5, Sigma SA has lower AF performance than Canon.

Yes the OEM Sigma SA mounts are thicker than the ones we custom-fabricate for Canon EF. Sorry but we are unable to fabricate our own Sigma SA mounts because we need a minimum quantity in the hundreds to be able to do so, but guess what, we have shipped a grand total of 2 converted Sigma SA mount lenses so far, despite having introduced this product on the market for more than 2 years. I felt very much disappointed by Sigma SA mount sales and as a small business with limited financial resources we are unable to invest in Sigma SA mount fabrication. Thank you for your understanding.

ManWearPants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: N50 and N70-200 to SA Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
70-200 is not supported because of an incompatible screw pattern, but we may be able to work around that with some custom fabrication work.

Are you keen to do this custom fabrication for the N70-200?
lam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for edit, I'ld better build new SA system and keep all N-Ef for new Canon sensors.

Regards

lam

Notsch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on SIGMA SD1 compatibility?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only have a SD14 and will not be able to test it on any other Sigma camera.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: N50 and N70-200 to SA Reply with quote

ManWearPants wrote:
conurus wrote:
70-200 is not supported because of an incompatible screw pattern, but we may be able to work around that with some custom fabrication work.

Are you keen to do this custom fabrication for the N70-200?

Tried modifying a Contax N 70-200 lens to Sigma SA mount last night but it did not quite work out as intended. I was not able to neatly cover the innards of the lens and hide internal components from sight. The Contax N lens' own circuit board and also its AF gear train would be visible from the outside.

So, N70-200 on Sigma SA would be plain impossible to do, unfortunately. That lens would be EF only.

conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of our knowledge, the first ever Zeiss macro lens autofocusing on a Sigma SA mount camera - introducing the Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2,8/100 in Sigma SA mount.

IMG_8605.JPG
 Description:
Sigma SD-14 and NEX-5N
 Filesize:  117.34 KB
 Viewed:  36425 Time(s)

IMG_8605.JPG

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  Canon Camera model  Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO  400 Focal length  50mm
Shutter speed  0.6 seconds Aperture  f/11.0

IMG_8609.JPG
 Description:
Sigma SD-14 and NEX-5N
 Filesize:  120.39 KB

IMG_8609.JPG

ISO  400 Focal length  50mm
Shutter speed  0.3 seconds Aperture  f/11.0

IMG_8610.JPG
 Description:
Rear view of lens
 Filesize:  82.84 KB

IMG_8610.JPG

ISO  400 Focal length  100mm
Shutter speed  1.3 seconds Aperture  f/11.0

ManWearPants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo-Ming,

Can you post photos taken with SD14 using N24-85? This lens give a focal length of 40-145mm on SD14/15 and 35-128 on SD1. I guess posting photos from the 50/1.4, 100/2.8 and 70-300 will do no harm since you probably already have them converted.
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 24-85, is the AF adjustment the same as that of EF conversion? 3 settings at each marked focal length and the same method to make the adjustments?

I understand you only test on SD14. What happens if there are issues when used on SD 15or 1? My concern is there are lesser people on SA conversion and respond time may not be the same as that of EF.
lam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad that you had done on N100 makro. It's a good news to me.
So far so good I still want contax N along with foveon sensor especially for serious works and because of it's cheaper and faster than film+scanner.

Please go on Bo-ming , you are pioneer.

best regard

nalahm

lam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way , I just purchased N70-200 and be shipped direct from Japan to conurus to be convert to canon EF mount. Lens will be arrive canada in few days.

I still hope that sigma will release fullframe 35mm foveon sensor and conurus can do convert N70-200 to SA mount too.

Notsch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
To the best of our knowledge, the first ever Zeiss macro lens autofocusing on a Sigma SA mount camera - introducing the Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2,8/100 in Sigma SA mount.

Does that mean 2,8/100 Makro is now convertible by default? If not, how much is the additional cost, to get around the screw pattern issue?

regards

Notsch
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManWearPants wrote:
Bo-Ming,

Can you post photos taken with SD14 using N24-85? This lens give a focal length of 40-145mm on SD14/15 and 35-128 on SD1. I guess posting photos from the 50/1.4, 100/2.8 and 70-300 will do no harm since you probably already have them converted.

Sorry but we don't have any Foveon sample photos worthy of posting. We are always busy working on these lenses and we don't have time left to enjoy them. Smile

ManWearPants wrote:
For 24-85, is the AF adjustment the same as that of EF conversion? 3 settings at each marked focal length and the same method to make the adjustments?

I understand you only test on SD14. What happens if there are issues when used on SD 15or 1? My concern is there are lesser people on SA conversion and respond time may not be the same as that of EF.

AF adjustment works the same.

We are not able to guarantee that it will work on SD15 or 1. Hopefully, some customers who have already got converted N lenses and also have a SD15 or 1 could clarify on this point.

Notsch wrote:
Does that mean 2,8/100 Makro is now convertible by default? If not, how much is the additional cost, to get around the screw pattern issue?

regards

Notsch

Only 10% of Makro-Sonnar 100/2.8 lenses are fit for Sigma SA conversion. The other 90% will only be able to convert to EF. (Depends on what copper shims are found inside the lens, and not predictable without taking the lens apart.) You may purchase an already-converted Makro-Sonnar 100/2.8 from us, if you are interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: