conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating an EF-NEX adapter with a built-in ND filters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Feature Enhancement Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much would you pay for an ND filter wheel built in?
under $100
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$100-$200
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
$200+
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
yes I'll buy the adapter, but no interest in internal NDs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

aly324

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Creating an EF-NEX adapter with a built-in ND filters Reply with quote

Hello Bo-Ming, I hope you'll consider creating a version of the EF-NEX adapter with a built-in ND filters, if not a wheel than maybe a bunch of flags. That'd solve one of the most frustrating things with the FS100 (and VG20 and all the NEX cameras used for video) and render it more a match with the Canon C300. Especially for documentary reactive stuff, screw-in filters just are not practical.

I tried the Xoom magnetic quick-release system. That was better than screwing filters in, but still far less convenient as a wheel of course.

I'd be willing to pay at least $200 for a built-in ND filter wheel, probably even $300.
allebaug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many current EF lens users who find they require NDs already have ND and ND grad systems in rectangular and round filter-thread-attachment sizes and strengths. I understand the need for these for more flexible movie exposure, but personally would put further money toward external filters versus in the adapter.

I think you need a fourth category for the poll of "yes I'll buy the adapter, but no interest in internal NDs" to get a more complete view of demand.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see why the cinematographic community demands a rear ND filter system.

My real concern is that Sony would see the exact same deficiency and in the next iteration, FS200 or whatever, they may put in a rear ND system in the camera and any adapter-based rear ND filter system would then become obsolete.

I'll grant that it is an unlikely development for a potential future VG30, but a user of the NEX-VG lineup would likely opt for a front-mounted filter based on cost. (Or else that NEX-VG user would have gone up to FS100 already.)

aly324

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
I do see why the cinematographic community demands a rear ND filter system.

My real concern is that Sony would see the exact same deficiency and in the next iteration, FS200 or whatever, they may put in a rear ND system in the camera and any adapter-based rear ND filter system would then become obsolete.

I'll grant that it is an unlikely development for a potential future VG30, but a user of the NEX-VG lineup would likely opt for a front-mounted filter based on cost. (Or else that NEX-VG user would have gone up to FS100 already.)

Hi there, the FS100 does not have built-in ND filters. The only Sony large-sensor camcorder with them is the $14000 PMW-F3. An adapter with an ND wheel would render the FS100 ($5000) much more level with the F3 and the upcoming Canon C300 ($16000).

There is a chance that Sony will add NDs to the successor to the FS100, but they could've done it for the FS100 already if they really wanted to. This "deficiency" was obvious to everyone, and obviously based purely on marketing, to avoid competition with their F3. So an FS200 with ND's does not seem very unlikely, and in any chance not in the near future because the FS100 is barely 6 months old.

So in both pricing and timing there seems to be a window of opportunity for an ND-enabled adapter.

Also, it will never be obsolete for the many people shooting video with the NEX still cameras.

Last edited by aly324 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
aly324

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allebaug wrote:
Many current EF lens users who find they require NDs already have ND and ND grad systems in rectangular and round filter-thread-attachment sizes and strengths. I understand the need for these for more flexible movie exposure, but personally would put further money toward external filters versus in the adapter.

I think you need a fourth category for the poll of "yes I'll buy the adapter, but no interest in internal NDs" to get a more complete view of demand.

Good point. Too bad I can't change the poll.

And of course my thinking is based on my assumption that adding an ND wheel (or flags) to this adapter wouldn't be a tremendous challenge technically or financially. For me the increased convenience is easily worth $200, especially considering the $13000+ prices of the C300 and F3.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll option added by admin.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, FS700 did end up having ND filter built-in. I guess this means we are off the hook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Feature Enhancement Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: