conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There may be some vignetting with certain EF-S lenses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trondster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: There may be some vignetting with certain EF-S lenses Reply with quote

A little tidbit of information - since the NEX sensor (crop factor 1.5x) is slightly larger than the Canon APS-C sensor (crop facto 1.6x), there may be some vignetting with certain EF-S lenses - especially those that already have visible vignetting on the smaller Canon sensor.
Third party lenses made for 1.5x crop should be fine, or at least just as good as when used on other 1.5x crop sensors. Smile

This is the same situation as when using EF-S lenses with Canons new C300 with a 1.5x crop sensor, where Canon writes the following:
Quote:
What different EF lenses can I use with the EOS C300?
The EOS C300 is compatible with the following:
(..)
Canon EF-S lenses (there may be some visible vignetting with certain EF-S lenses)
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right. I will need to update the product description to clarify this point. Thank you very much!
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual test of EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM, shot wide open at 17mm f/2.8.

Actually, that lens would vignette on a 1.6x crop Canon DSLR, too. On my 1.5x crop NEX-7, it isn't doing noticeably worse. I have not done a formal test but in practical usage I think it is probably ok to disregard the 1.5x vs 1.6x difference. Stopping down a couple of f-stops helps a lot, in both cases.

DSC07358.JPG
 Description:
Casual test of EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM, shot wide open
 Filesize:  75.57 KB
 Viewed:  6974 Time(s)

DSC07358.JPG

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  SONY Camera model  NEX-7
ISO  100 Focal length  17mm
Shutter speed  1/250 seconds Aperture  f/2.8
ideniti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: EF-S 17-55 Lens Hood? Reply with quote

Thanks for testing out the EF-S 17-55! I have a series of EF lenses and that one EF-S lens, so I'm seriously considering the Metabones adapter for my NEX-7.

One more question (and not a terribly important one but would be good to know)... I read that Paul Antico used the EF-S 17-55 on his short "The Cost" shot on the Canon C300. He mentioned that the lens hood would show up in the shot on the wide end. I know the NEX-7 and the Canon C300 are two completely different beasts, but they share similarly sized sensors. Do you have the Canon EF-S 17-55 lens hood and if so, had any of the same issues with the NEX-7?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ever recall seeing the hood in the frame with my knock-off, non-genuine petal-shaped hood for the EF-S 17-55.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Sony NEX Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: