conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aperture Ring and Manual Focus after conversion (ME/MF)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AquilaN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Aperture Ring and Manual Focus after conversion (ME/MF) Reply with quote

Hi,
I wish to ask You two, maybe three questions:
1) Do You know if it is posibile to use Contax N series as maunal (MF/ME) lenses without any electrical connection from body?
2) If above is positive, could You tell me is there a posibility to make half-conversion for eg. Vario-Sonnar 70-300? As half-way I mean to change mount phisicaly only and to not even change electronic?
2a) Or if electronic replacement is needed to achive manual aperture control without camera body, could You provide any hope for such replacement in electronics to convert orginal Contax N lens to manual, full functional and cam-body indepentent glass?

I know my question may look odd, but I wish to expalin it. I wish to use Contax N lens (after eg. described above half-conversion) with simple Cannon-EFS adaptor to my Sony Nex-5. Mentioned adapter (EOS-->NEX) do not have any electrical connection but it works with generic cannon lenses. I am curious is there any posibility to use Contax N lenses with this kind of adapter after any conversion? I know Your standard convestion procedure provides AE and AF, but while using 3rd part mount adapter for NEXs - there isn't any posibility to use any AE/AF. It would be great advantage to provide ME (Manual Aperture Control) instead of AE.

Thanks for Your time and replay,

AquilaN
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, All Contax lenses in N mount and 645 mount have "fly-by-wire" apertures, if you allow me to use an analogy from modern aviation controls. The aperture ring is not in any way coupled to the aperture diaphragm. The aperture diaphragm is operated by electronic commands from the camera body. Other than a Contax N or 645 camera body, our conurus circuit board is the only other way to issue the proper commands to operate the aperture diaphragm of a Contax N or 645 lens.

2, our circuit board does support the functionality you proposed. When any Contax N lens converted by us is powered, it will detect if there is a camera body. If none is detected, it will start detecting the position of the aperture ring of the lens, and control the aperture diaphragm of the lens accordingly. To do what you describe, all it takes is to supply power to the conurus circuit board. Some soldering and drilling is required, as is an external power source. (You must disconnect the external power source and the diode before the lens can be used on a Canon camera body again.)

aperture_control.JPG
 Description:
Power connection to conurus circuit boards whose circuit board numbers start with '08'
 Filesize:  26.12 KB
 Viewed:  15253 Time(s)

aperture_control.JPG

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  Canon Camera model  Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO  400 Focal length  86mm
Shutter speed  1/60 seconds Aperture  f/18.0

cradle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bo-Ming,

For point 2 you have answered, I would like to ask if it is also true for conurus circuit board for Contax 645? If yes, I would like to install it on my bellows with external power source.

I know this thread is a little bit old but I can't find a better place to ask. Thanks.

Cradle
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, true for Contax 645 as well.
cradle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who needs aperture ring synchronization only, would you provide a chip to suit this purpose (even require an external power supply) which simply stick on the mount adapters? I think many contax N/645 users needs manual aperture control only so that they could use their contax N/645 lens on a wider variety of mirrorless systems such as m43/nex/nx in a more flexible way. I know you no longer provide DIY kit since the complexity of the lens modification. But for mirrorless system we could use an adapter with chip attachment which greatly reduces the complexity. Thanks.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would be happy to sell you the circuit board. Please email us.

I have a lot of commitments to our other customers but I cannot afford the time to support you or assist you in any integration work for your special projects. You will be responsible for putting it together yourself.

cradle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email has been sent. I hope my thought could come true so that more old lens could be revived in a new way. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Sony NEX Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: