conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please do NOT send anything to us by UPS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you use to ship lenses to Conurus?
I used UPS and there was an excessive delay and/or a hidden fee
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I used UPS and I am satisfied.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I used the Post Office and there was an excessive delay and/or a hidden fee
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I used the Post Office and I am satisfied.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
I used something else and there was an excessive delay and/or a hidden fee
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I used something else and I am satisfied.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Please do NOT send anything to us by UPS! Reply with quote

For ground service, they charge the recipient a brokerage fee. It is a hidden fee that they never proactively inform you, the shipper, about. Notice that this fee is not a tax or a duty. It goes entirely into UPS' pockets for clearing customs on your behalf. They would for example charge about $70 for getting a VS17-35 lens into Canada. You wouldn't know it unless you dig up the fine print yourself. Here is the fee schedule that they publish:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Ever since we opened our conversion service in 2006, we have been asking our customers not to send us anything by UPS, but stick with the EMS service of the post office instead, or Global Priority Mail, Global Express Mail for those of you in the US. Thank you to all customers who listened to our advice. For those of you who insisted on UPS, there was not even once it arrived without delays and hidden fees, in our experience.

Please! UPS may be great for national deliveries, but do NOT use their ground service to send big ticket items to international destinations!

The post office charges us nothing at all most of the time when we receive your package. On a few occasions they charge us tax plus a $8 handling fee, but we always apply for a tax refund and the $8 handling fee is not that significant.

ManWearPants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it alright to use EMS?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep EMS is perfect.

But don't go with any more expensive service than that! Express couriers sold through post offices and the ones to avoid are China Express (TNT in disguise), Chronopost (France) and Speedpost Express (Singapore, handled by DHL).

As a rule of thumb, go with the cheapest air mail service with tracking number.
upallnight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this thread (3rd post), you mentioned one should avoid EMS and use (USPS) global priority. looks like above you are saying EMS is fine.

wish i'd known as global priority does not permit insurance >US$675...and my package has been sitting in canadian customs for 8 days.

i'd hope to use EMS to get it in your queue faster but avoided it based on what you'd said. i'll be happy if it gets there -- i'm a little nervous at this point, though i doubt there will be any problem (other than this delay). just feel like i'm losing my spot in the line. Smile
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, in the United States you are suggested to use USPS Global Priority Mail. Do NOT use Global Express Mail because it may route through FedEx.

For other countries it is usually called EMS. When I was asked "was EMS alright?" it did not occur to me that the question was with regards to the United States, so you caught me on that one and I stand corrected.

upallnight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bo-ming:
no worries -- all the terminology is confusing, particularly when the same service is called different things in different places.

just wanted to clear things up for those residing in the US.

thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: