conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the conversion price of 85 1.4 increase that much?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingwing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Why the conversion price of 85 1.4 increase that much? Reply with quote

I was wondering the reason why the conversion of 85 1.4 increased from 499 to 799? Is it because of new circuit board?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to first point out that the previous pricing applies so long as the lens is received by us before March 1, 2010.

Conversion pricing varies with the cost of the lens itself. When we work on your lens we bear a certain liability. With the cost of the 85/1.4 on the second hand market surging past even the legendary 17-35/2.8 we would need a corresponding increase in the conversion price to hedge against the increased risk. To compound the problem, the 85/1.4 is becoming so rare that it is hard to find even if one has the money. (The 17-35 is at least available these days.) We would need to prepare for the worst and be able to replace your lens in the rare event that the conversion goes sour.
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
I would like to first point out that the previous pricing applies so long as the lens is received by us before March 1, 2010.

Conversion pricing varies with the cost of the lens itself. When we work on your lens we bear a certain liability. With the cost of the 85/1.4 on the second hand market surging past even the legendary 17-35/2.8 we would need a corresponding increase in the conversion price to hedge against the increased risk. To compound the problem, the 85/1.4 is becoming so rare that it is hard to find even if one has the money. (The 17-35 is at least available these days.) We would need to prepare for the worst and be able to replace your lens in the rare event that the conversion goes sour.

There seems to be a bit more availability and the price has come down. Will you contemplate re-adjusting the conversion for N85?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the entire Contax line-up was discontinued, the N-Planar 85/1.4 was on close-out sale at Calumet Photo for US$1,050, new, and sold for much less on eBay used. I am hoping that online sellers these days are willing to come down on prices a bit to be more in line with the prices we saw back then.
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about prices these days is that they only go one way. I guess this is the price that one would have to pay to own a N85. The other option would be the use a N50 on an APS-C.

It is strange that I am able to convinced myself to get the N17-35 despite of the inflated price but not able to for the N85. Maybe I need to think about it more Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: