conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sand in Focus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Berkowski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Sand in Focus Reply with quote

I got some sand in the focus of my converted Planar. I can hear it sometimes when autofocusing. I can hear it more when I turn the focus ring manually. I can see a few pieces of sand in the manual focus ring, but I can't get out with an ordinary blower.

What recommendations do people have?
1) Do nothing. Don't worry about it.
2) Try a high pressure blower and/or micro vacuum on the lens. I don't know if this would do more harm than good.
3) Take to a repair shop. Would they know how to deal with a converted lens, or does this not even matter?
4) Other suggestions?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The construction of your Planar 50/1.4 is very simple. A competent local camera repairman will be able to clean the sand out.

Alternatively you may also send us your lens in September and have us take a look. However we are not a general repair shop and your local repairman may be able to do a better cleaning job than us. You may have your repairman call me at 604-433-0483 on any technical questions concerning the disassembly of the lens.
Tom Berkowski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice. I'll do that. Does anyone have any suggestions about how they have used local repairs? I suppose I should bring my body so they don't try to slap on a Contax body to test. Any other things I should keep in mind?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unnecessary to desolder the conurus circuit board. The lens can be disassembled/reassembled with the conurus circuit board intact. Our install guide may be helpful.
Tom Berkowski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Follow up Reply with quote

As follow up, everything went well with local service to remove sand. I wanted to let people know that in my case, there was no problem with complete disassembly & reassembly by local service person. When I was considering buying a lens for conversion, I was worried about service-ability. I'm reassured by my experience.

I just got my first set of prints back after I had my lens serviced, and everthing looks great. There is no sand sound in focus ring, and autofocus, body-controlled apeture work fine.

Thanks to Bo-Ming for the assurance that local service would not have a problem. Also, thanks to him for offering to answer questions from a local service provider. I don't know if this was required in this instance, but it was great that he offered.

In case you want a recommendation of service person who has handled a converted lens, I used Advance Camera in San Francisco

http://www.camerarepair-sf.com/

They don't have a retail store anymore, but the person (Yakov) works out of his house in San Francisco. It was great to talk face-to-face with the real person who would do the service. (The few remaining camera shops in San Francisco all send their repairs out. I don't know to where.) My lens was ready for pickup 11 days after dropping it off.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. Yes I did get a phone call from your local repair technician concerning reassembly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: