conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screaming for 50mm Planar conversion :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Black

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 50 sitting here and waiting for conversion also.
MomoInu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another 50mm in waiting...
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or else we'll get the Sigma! Laughing
MCTuomey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also looking forward to the N50 conversion ...
lam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's go grap all N lens before they up the price.

ScreenShot004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.62 KB
 Viewed:  15467 Time(s)

ScreenShot004.jpg

Last edited by lam on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Berkowski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: 50 questions Reply with quote

I learned about conurus conversions through some online forums. On the topic of 50 1.4, I've been craving a good 50 option, and I'd like your opinion.

Like others, I didn't like the Canon 50 1.4, which focused slowly & poorly. I rented the Canon 50 1.2, and it was better but still had some focus issues unbecoming a US$ 1400 lens.

So now my questions:
- What do you think converted N focus speed & accuracy would be like compared to Canon lenses? I know the 50 1.4 conversion isn't out yet, but maybe others are familiar with the focus speed from Contax use or from similar N lenses that are already converted compared to their Canon 50 lens.
- I read on this forum that there may be mirror issues with the 5D (which is my digital Canon body.) How seriously do you think this should be taken?
- Is cost something to consider? Both cost of getting & converting the lens and future resale value? I believe L lenses hold their value well. How about future value of converted lenses. (I see that N resale values are presently high, but does anyone have a point of view about the future?)
- When do you speculate Zeiss 50 1.4 conversion will be available? My plan (before finding out about N conversion) was to live with the imperfections and get a Canon 50 1.2 when winter rebates come around. I just feel I need a faster normal lens.

Thanks for your opinions.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, we developed some proprietary tools to evaluate focusing accuracy, and this new technology is first applied to critically evaluate the N 50/1.4. It is highly unlikely that you would find any accuracy issues.

However, there is an AF hunting problem from 0.45m to 0.5m for some high contrast subjects, and we recommend using manual focus near the closest focusing distance.

We have only one built at this point, for prototyping, and so far it has worked very well in field tests.

I do not have any Canon lenses to compare, but one round trip hunt takes 3 seconds. (Infinity to closest and back to infinity again on a 1Ds.)

394V0160.JPG
 Description:
AF accuracy test
 Filesize:  230.77 KB
 Viewed:  15414 Time(s)

394V0160.JPG

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  Canon Camera model  Canon EOS-1DS
ISO  100 Focal length  50mm
Shutter speed  1/250 seconds Aperture  f/1.4

rachmaninov_73

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Regarding the N 50mm f/1.4 ....
For me, there is only one really issue with this lens converted. I'd like to discuss the much talked possible incompatibility between this lens and the 5D body, which is, ironically, one of most widely used by photographers (I guess).

Do you think is there any way to fix it? I don't know if is yet in the shops the 5D MkII, but anyway it will be soon...May the new model have this bit of extra clearance?

It would be a dreamy combo, 5D + N50 Very Happy
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, it is more a liability issue than an actual incompatibility. We apply a yardstick which is probably considered too stringent by photographers regularly adapting manual focus lenses to Canon, but it is more prudent for us to state very clearly to you that the rear element protrudes so therefore try at your own risk.

We will additionally warn that mirror clearance problems can be hard to detect because the mirror could still swing on even if it touches something. The path of the mirror is flexible to a certain extent. Listening carefully to the mirror noise is a more reliable way of telling whether the mirror has hit something or not.

The Planar 50/1.4 is the only lens we issue a warning about. None of the others have protruding elements at all or in the case of 24-85 protrudes by a negligible amount.

In short and in plain English, if you have an adventurous spirit, the P50/1.4 will most likely just work with the 5D or 5D mk II, but don't sue us if it doesn't, because we do not officially support that combination.

Tom Berkowski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: cost of mirror replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning. Is 50 conversion anticipated to start near the same time as other conversions, or is it far down the road? I am hoping to buy a 50 soon.

Also, does anyone know the cost of mirror repair on a 5D body?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay but in the best case scenario we are looking at a late-March 2009 delivery for the P50/1.4 conversion.
Andi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
Sorry for the delay but in the best case scenario we are looking at a late-March 2009 delivery for the P50/1.4 conversion.

Well, if you ever have a converted 50 for sale, let me know. Thanks...
Tom Berkowski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Anyone have sample Planar 50 1.4 images Reply with quote

Does anyone have links to sample Planar 50 1.4 images? Obviously would be done with Contax since converted lens not yet available.

I've looked at Pixel-Peeper, but I believe I'm only seeing the Zeiss manual focus lenses for Nikon, Canon, etc. Is that the same lens design as the Contax N Planar (without AF)?

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=11006
Char

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my 50mm N today, no problem on 5D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: