conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long would the wait be for firmware update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hystavito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: How long would the wait be for firmware update? Reply with quote

I would like to send in my 100mm Makro for the update to use with the 5D MkII so I am wondering roughly how long my lens will be gone to make a decision.

Thanks.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beta customer has been generously helping us trying out our new firmware on a 400/4, a 50/1.4 and a 24-85. A number of issues have been found that way and most of them have been fixed. I am still working late nights on lab-test-target-type testing and I will conduct final field testing this Saturday. I expect the queue to start moving again starting Sunday. Thank you for your patience and support.
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the discussion revolves around the 5DMKII. Is the new firmware beneficial 1Ds/1DsMKIII camera users?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address your question, I conducted a test on the 1Ds (mark I), and show the 100% crops below.

It appears that for a f/1.4 lens, the new firmware 2.96 has a noticeable edge in AF accuracy, on the original 1Ds.

This is definitely a difficult "stress test", so I would defend even 2.08, the previous firmware version, for not doing too badly in this test.

394V7704ORIG.JPG
 Description:
full frame
 Filesize:  243.42 KB
 Viewed:  13534 Time(s)

394V7704ORIG.JPG

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  Canon Camera model  Canon EOS-1DS
ISO  200 Focal length  86mm
Shutter speed  1/250 seconds Aperture  f/1.4

394V7706.JPG
 Description:
firmware 2.08 (previous version)
 Filesize:  98.45 KB

394V7706.JPG

394V7704.JPG
 Description:
firmware 2.96 (latest version)
 Filesize:  107.35 KB

394V7704.JPG

cbowman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: New Firmware Reply with quote

I apologize if this question has already been addressed. I had some lenses converted by you in the past and some that are presently waiting to be converted by you after completion of the new Firmware version. My question is what will be the procedure for updating the lenses you previously converted for me with the new Firmware version. Thank you. Curtis
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Please fill out this address label with your return address.

http://en.conurus.com/coneos_address.pdf

We would charge shipping/handling (US$32 for US/Canada and US$65 everywhere else)

However, I remember you already have some lenses with us being converted. We will ship everything back to you in the same package and waive the second shipping charge.

Thanks!
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some confusion about what the new firmware does and it is necessary for me to clarify.

To get the kind of pixel-sharp results I am showing here, it may be necessary to match your particular lens to your particular camera body using the AF micro-adjustment feature of either the camera body, or the lens, or both.

In my experience, there are sample variations in both different camera bodies and different lenses. That is to say, the same lens may require different adjustment values on different camera bodies, and the same camera body may require 2 different adjustment values with 2 copies of the same lens.

If your camera supports LiveView, checking focus is pretty easy. Just use LiveView 10x, point your camera at something, use quick AF, and see if the result is sharp.
erichard

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: firmware update for previous conversion Reply with quote

Bo-Ming, I am sending my recently converted 17-35 back in to get the new firmware updated. If you could hold (not ship) the 100mm I now have in for conversion till this is done, it would be great if you could mail them back together as you have suggested above. I know there's a lag between when it's shipped and when you actually see the new shipments, hence the note tonight.
Thanks, Richard
New Hope, PA
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I will keep an eye on your package when it comes in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: