conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zeiss to release ZE mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctorb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Zeiss to release ZE mount Reply with quote

Looks like Zeiss will be releasing a 21mm, 50 mm, and 85mm for Canon mount. (to be announced 9/15). These will be AE only to start, but later AF models.

If my take is correct, that should have little bearing on our Contax N conversions in terms of focal lengths (accept 50 and 85 and only for AE at first).

I personally see no negative impact upon the value of Bo-Ming's conversions and perhaps makes them more valuable given their AF/AE capabilities now. The Contax N tele conversions have no current Zeiss counterparts.

I'm going ahead with four more conversions.

Have I got it right?

Comments please.
dannylin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss to release ZE mount Reply with quote

doctorb wrote:
Looks like Zeiss will be releasing a 21mm, 50 mm, and 85mm for Canon mount. (to be announced 9/15). These will be AE only to start, but later AF models.

If my take is correct, that should have little bearing on our Contax N conversions in terms of focal lengths (accept 50 and 85 and only for AE at first).

I personally see no negative impact upon the value of Bo-Ming's conversions and perhaps makes them more valuable given their AF/AE capabilities now. The Contax N tele conversions have no current Zeiss counterparts.

I'm going ahead with four more conversions.

Have I got it right?

Comments please.

That would be fantastic IMHO!

But I wonder if the new ZE mount lenses would have modern features like waterproof, image stabilization, etc.

Besides, the recent ZM, ZF lens shows Zeiss's new modern lenses is following the Japanese optics design which makes it more 'modern' but are IMHO losing some of its own style - as a Canon/Contax/Leica user, I would prefer to get a Zeiss Germany style of lenses in its color and performance.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss ZE lenses are old-school manual focus optics equipped with electronic aperture diaphragms. We think Zeiss introducing ZE lenses validates what we have been selling over the last 2 years and it is a very exciting development. If autofocus is not required, Zeiss ZE is going to be a great choice. However, to get a (non-Jena) Zeiss lens to autofocus on a Canon body, the only way is still to take a Contax N-mount lens and modify it.

As for the value of our conversion service, let's consider this analogy: an unconverted N-mount lens is a stock option, the conversion fee is the exercise price, and a converted lens in EF mount is a stock. If this analogy holds, the conversion fee (exercise price) is fixed. If market conditions change causing the value of converted lenses to change, then the value of unconverted lenses would change accordingly.

jjlphoto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss to release ZE mount Reply with quote

doctorb wrote:
These will be AE only to start, but later AF models.

Really? I did not know Zeiss would be going in the auto-focus direction anymore.
doctorb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss to release ZE mount Reply with quote

jjlphoto wrote:
doctorb wrote:
These will be AE only to start, but later AF models.

Really? I did not know Zeiss would be going in the auto-focus direction anymore.

The AF information was taken from a translation of a German news release very early this morning regarding the ZE mounts.
http://www.digitalkamera.de/Meldung/Neue_Objektive_von_Zeiss_jetzt_auch_mit_EF_Bajonett/5111.aspx

(Someone on FM interpreted that release and said future AF...I cannot do the translation myself)
br1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO there is only a focus confirmation from the autofocus electronics
rollsman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a 17-35 Contax N lense to be converted ? I am thinking of selling mine. It was converted last year by Bo Ming and its an outstanding lense. Let me know. Thanks, dennis
doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollsman wrote:
Do you have a 17-35 Contax N lense to be converted ? I am thinking of selling mine. It was converted last year by Bo Ming and its an outstanding lense. Let me know. Thanks, dennis

Not sure if you are asking me. Anyhow, I already own one and am having another converted currently. This is an outstanding lens and a collectable in my opinion.

Bo-Ming, how many 17-35 conversions have you done? I heard 80 something. Anyways,these are a unique and hard to find peices of precision photgraphic equipment.

If you have a GB-103 hood you want to part out, I'm interested.

Thanks.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of today the count is about 60 for converted 17-35's. The total number of 17-35's ever made is about 1,800.
dannylin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
As of today the count is about 60 for converted 17-35's. The total number of 17-35's ever made is about 1,800.

Wow, only 1,800 ever made!

Guess I should get my 17.35 converted when Conurus back to service!
doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannylin wrote:
conurus wrote:

Wow, only 1,800 ever made!

Guess I should get my 17.35 converted when Conurus back to service!

Only 1800 existed....only 60 converted world wide (converted the right way)....now you can see why this highly regraded Zeiss quality WA lens is a collectible. Can't wait to see comparable numbers for the APO 400 (zero converted so far).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: