conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24-85 Preconversion test problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: 24-85 Preconversion test problem Reply with quote

I currently have several lenses in for conversion. One of the lenses
(24-85) scored as a "O" on the AF test. All the other tests were fine.

I believe that the test results range from "Y" (passed), "O" (not recommended) or "N" (failed). My question is, has anyone proceeded with the conversion of a lens with an "O" rating on the AF and, if so, how did it perform. I can live with a slower AF but not an innacurate one.

I need to decide which way to go on this (proceed, chuck the lens, find one that fully passes). I already have about $400 sunk into this lens and the conversion will add another $400. Opinions appreciated. I am awaiting clarification and suggestions from Bo-Ming, but I would also like to know if anyone here has faced the same dilemma.

TIA
Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this problem on 24-85mm and it is quick and nicely reponsing to any situration. Please note that, I believed, it is not a true zoom and will have focus shift from tele to wide side. So, you need to refocus in different zoom range.

Leo
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we commence conversion we always run your lens through a Contax N1. If there are no incidents, "P" indicates a full pass.

If the lens has been sitting around unused for some time, the lubrication of the focusing mechanism may get a little bit stuck, and the AF may make a high-pitched squeak noise when tested for the first time. If it does not improve on the second trial, it would be a "F" (fail), but if there are no more problems on the second/third trial, we mark it as "O" (OK). In our experience if you "exercise" the lens regularly there will be no further problems. Otherwise, you are always covered by our 1-year ultrasonic motor warranty on the 17-35, 24-85 and 70-300 lenses.

doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the helpful explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: