conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N50 with Canon 1DX success

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chmod

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: N50 with Canon 1DX success Reply with quote

I wanted to share a status report on a recently acquired N50 and my Canon 1DX.

Mine has firmware 3.13f

My 1DX is on the latest Canon firmware 1.2.4.

The lens/body combination reflected front-focusing after a few simple test shots. It was obvious.

I did initially use the Canon body AF Micro adjust, and also used the highest setting of +20. It really did very little to adjust the focal range. Very odd. So I reverted to 0 and dove into your process.

I used the instructions you provided. The only issue is "the number of blinks to reflect previous adjustments". My 1DX pretty much gags on that, and though it does blink (assuming a setting is in place) it soon stops, then starts again, then just gives up. ha ha ha. So I ignore that step, since it is little more than a confirmation step.

FYI - I am using +25 on your micro settings and it seems to be very close to what it should be. Let's face it, this specific lens is not that sharp wide open, so the challenge is not to confuse focus adjust and sharpness. It may well be in focus, but at 1.4 it is not that sharp. Stopped down it becomes very sharp - but you already know this.

So - thank you so very much for your engineering and expertise.

CV0P6895.jpg
 Description:
Stopped down to 4.5. Love the edge to edge sharpness.
 Filesize:  381.59 KB
 Viewed:  9733 Time(s)

CV0P6895.jpg

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  Canon Camera model  Canon EOS-1D X
ISO  125 Focal length  50mm
Shutter speed  1/250 seconds Aperture  f/4.5

Last edited by chmod on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your posting. We have found that at such a large aperture as f/1.4, there is noticeable sample variations between lenses and adjustments may be necessary for optimal accuracy.

However, excessive adjustment values may cause overflow with the af calculations making the accuracy worse, so we advise using af micro adjustment in moderation. Our recommendation is NOT to focus on the closest focusing distance, but rather, we need to tune for accuracy at medium distances first, then infinity. These are the most photographically significant situations and if we get them right, near objects would likely take care of themselves or become easy to adjust.
lam

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you chmod , glad to hear that.
WOW 1DX so really shine with contax N , noting to compare, now is the best combo of DSLR.

Thanks you conurus for tips.

chmod

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: follow up Reply with quote

I took my time this morning, and fine tuned the mid-range distance micro focus at f/1.4. As you said, this and Infinity are the most commonly used ranges. I only use a lens wide open in the most dark and light-starved situations. But when I do, I want to make sure everything is tuned as much as possible.

My newest adjustment is +27. I am very pleased. And, it only gets better stopped down. Smile

I share a full version, and then a 100% crop of the object in focus.

No complaints about the sharpness from me.

The local birds (woodpecker and finch mostly, with a pair of grosbeaks) were patient, but ultimately annoyed as I interrupted their feeding.

My next experiment will be a live dance performance, which will test the Servo capabilities in very low, but at times extremely contrasty lighting. I understand this may be problematic, but as I do not use burst mode, only tracking, I am reasonably optimistic.

chmod

CV0P6959_1200_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  771.2 KB
 Viewed:  9696 Time(s)

CV0P6959_1200_2.jpg

ISO  100 Focal length  50mm
Shutter speed  1/6400 seconds Aperture  f/1.4

CV0P6959_1200.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.98 KB
 Viewed:  9696 Time(s)

CV0P6959_1200.jpg

ISO  100 Focal length  50mm
Shutter speed  1/6400 seconds Aperture  f/1.4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: