conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N and 645 mount
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khunk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: N and 645 mount Reply with quote

Hi Conurus,
I am a long time Contax user and still use 645 with Phase 1 P45 backs, have each and every lenses made for 645 and love each of them. I use to have N and N Digital but sold them ( together with a large collection of MM+ME lenses ) since Canon simply does almost everytihng better, but I do miss those lenses.
Knowing such adapter available, I want to try to look for the lenses still availale for N mount. especially the 17-35, 85 and 100 makro. Will the EXIF information states the lens use as with EF lens on EOS DSLR? Also, will the lens work with the ETTL-II as the Canon EF lens? I am aware that the lens needed to go thru some mount change which is OK but wondered if the adapter for 645 lens will also need to modify? Or simply with an adapter with data communicator?
Thanks for such wonderful creation.

Brgds/K
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi khunk,

Thanks for joining us! The EXIF information recorded includes: zoom range, current focal length, maximum aperture of the lens, and the actual aperture used. There is no identification whether it is a Canon lens or a Contax lens. So both the EF 17-35/2.8 and the Vario Sonnar 17-35/2.8 will show the same set of EXIF info, for example.

We have not encountered any difficulties with ETTL but I have no ETTL-II flash to try out (I will have to upgrade my Metz module). If you or any customer identifies an exposure problem, we will try to resolve it.

The 645 adapter will be a real adapter. No work needs to be done on the 645 lens, and you can use the same lens across a Canon system and a real Contax 645 system. As you said, it will simply be an adapter with data communication. I have already bought the Distagon 35, Planar 80 and a Vario Sonnar 45-90 for research, and I will buy more. (I have no Contax 645 bodies, though, to be honest!) My apologies but you will have to wait a little bit for this.

khunk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the process will be that I send you the lenses for fitting or I need to do it by myself? I would definately want to order the VS 17-35/2.8 and 85/1.4 and 100/2.8 macro. If it is not overally difficult then I can have my engineer to do it.
My usual photography base is digital, primary Contax 645 with Phase 1 P45 back. Switched from N and N digital to Canon 4 years ago, now using 1Ds Mark2, although overall Canon L lens deliver satisfied result, it still fell short on color fringe even at mid area between cener to the edge of frame, even using 35/1.4L, not to mention the not so hot 16-35/2.8L.
If you have the parts available for the 3 lenses mentioned above, I would order now and wait for the lenses become available later. And what will the cost of 645 adapter be?

Brgds/K
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recommend customers to find a local camera repair shop to do the installation because shipping expensive lenses over long distances is expensive and risky. You may pay us to do the work but think of it as the last resort when you really couldn't find anyone suitable for the job.

I am working on 17-35/2.8 and 85/1.4 but give me a couple of months to finish them. You may have noticed that these have large protruding rear elements. I will annouce it when the 17-35/2.8 and 85/1.4 versions are ready.

I have not decided on the pricing of the 645 adapter yet.

Last edited by conurus on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
khunk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, let me know once the 17-35/2.8 and 85/1.4 becomes available so I can order them. Since I no longer keep the Contax body nor I would bother to get one even they return somewhat. I think the Contax lens and Canon body+sensor is the best solution for me. Therefore, it does not matter the lens cannot be retrofitted with Contax body.
And thanks for the advise, I can simply just order the mount and do it from my end. I guess I can mamange with the soldering.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wish to elaborate on the soldering required for 17-35/2.8, 85/1.4 and 50/1.4 (but not for the other lenses).

It is different from ordinary soldering, so we have to ensure we know the difference and the person performing the installation knows the difference.

First, of course, the soldering iron must be grounded and ESD protected, or electrostatic discharge may cause damage to the internal CPU of the lens. Most soldering irons you buy off the shelf are not protected against static, and that may be a huge huge problem.

Second, the soldering iron must be temperature controlled. The reason is that the OEM lens connector is soldered to a flex circuit and we need to desolder the lens connector from the flex circuit. Flex circuit is just polymer. If it overheats it just melts resulting in serious damage. They are very fragile compared to epoxy-fiberglass printed circuit boards.

Optionally, to ensure the highest level of safety, have the rear mount removed and put the lens in a dry box overnight. Moisture may become stream due to high temperature from soldering and may cause damage (though not anywhere as likely as overheating the flex circuit).

We have to be aware of these differences. A much higher standard is required than ordinary soldering. The last thing I want is to hear about a lot of failed installation. We must refer installation to a professional with the right skills.
Lulumi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me know once the adaptor for 645 to EOS becomes available, so I can order it.
tessar_man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also very interested in a C 645 to Canon EOS adapter when it becomes availalbe.
What about adaptation of N 4/400 Tele-Apoetessar to Canon EOS?
tessar_man
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400/4 will be available later - probably December, or beginning of 2007. The price is not yet decided but it will be priced higher than US$249 - I expect to make only a few mounts for 400/4 - probably less than 10 - and you know, it costs about the same to machine 10 pieces vs. 100 pieces. Some customers have expressed interests in 400/4 but the problem is where do we buy it? It is an extremely rare lens. Last year, when Contax discontinued, it was on close out for only US$1449 at Adorama. I missed that and I have to pay more than twice of that now to get it.
MomoInu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
Last year, when Contax discontinued, it was on close out for only US$1449 at Adorama. I missed that and I have to pay more than twice of that now to get it.

I don't know anyone that was able to get a 400mm f4 when they were being offered at $1449 (B&H supposedly were taking orders as well). Several tried but they never got anything.
meridianfoto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 400mm and want the mount for it if I can find someone to mount it...
meridianfoto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and an adapter for my 120mm 645 macro-planar !
contaxman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! conurus,

When will you announce CONTAX 645 adapter?
Can you let us know your plan?

________
Dental insurance dicussion

Last edited by contaxman on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid you won't see it until the second half of 2007. My focus is on rounding out the N-mount and be able to convert all N-mount lenses. I will not be able to start working on 645 until the N-mount stuff is complete.
contaxman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Prototype ready ?? Reply with quote

Hi! conurus,

You mentioned in other thread that you have 645 adapter "prototype ".. Does it mean that you will definately be able to produce it? Many people are waiting for your news.

________
Cystic Fibrosis Advice

Last edited by contaxman on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: