conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N and 645 mount
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me explain it this way: many manufacturers would demo their new products in one of the big trade shows, such as PMA or Photokina. But it is only a demo - they are not able to ship immediately. We have an analogous situation - only worse because a "prototype" is even more preliminary than a "demo".
readybuild

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
Let me explain it this way: many manufacturers would demo their new products in one of the big trade shows, such as PMA or Photokina. But it is only a demo - they are not able to ship immediately. We have an analogous situation - only worse because a "prototype" is even more preliminary than a "demo".

Greetings:
I am newer here but want to applaude your efforts; I too am in the camp of wanting to get an adapter to fit my 645 120mm F4 Makro. I think we all need to realize the work being done, and to trust the process - do we have a choice? Conrus: do you see any overt issues in adapting the 645 series, or is it going to just be a matter of time for you to finish up the N's? Best wishes!
readybuild

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conurus wrote:

Hi Again,

After reading and re-reading all the post that have been posted on the forum here what I am getting is: "Have you been successful in doing so, and will you definitely be able to design and then produce the adapter for the 645 series?"

I know that like myself others have certain 645 lenses, and would pick up additional ones when and if they become available if they knew that down the road a bit there would be a 645 adapter for them to use on their EOS. Thank you in advance for addressing this pressing question!

Kind regards...
MLVegas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Conurus,

Really appreciate all your hard work. As many others are, I am anxiously awaiting the 645 adapter.

I thought of something the other day. Will your adapter include and AF/MF switch? Since the 645 overrides the autofocus from the body and the EF system utilizes a switch on the lens.

I'm sure you've already come across this. I tried reading all of the threads before I wrote this, so I hope you haven't already answered this question.

Best Wishes,
Matthew
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be the same as the N-series: the aperture ring on the lens is set to minimum (f/22 or f/32) to put the lens in manual focus mode. Any other aperture means autofocus.

The actual aperture is controlled by the camera body.

MLVegas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Conurus. As I said in the email. I assumed you had already figured something out.
Thats a very clever idea using the ring since it is purly electronis. I would guess using a device on the lens instead of an added switch also keeps the adapter as thin as possible?
Can't wait to get it!!! Keep up the good work.

Matthew
mOnAmis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that it is very useful to have the AF/MF switch facilitated in such a way. You know that if you want to turn the AF off you don't have to take your eye away from tthe view finder. Very neat.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLVegas wrote:
Thanks Conurus. As I said in the email. I assumed you had already figured something out.
Thats a very clever idea using the ring since it is purly electronis. I would guess using a device on the lens instead of an added switch also keeps the adapter as thin as possible?
Can't wait to get it!!! Keep up the good work.

Matthew

Exactly. My mount is very thin and if I had put an AF/MF switch there, it would have been tiny, not durable and difficult to operate.

I thought of modifying the lens barrel itself and putting the AF/MF switch at exactly the same location as an EF lens, but it is too big a modification for just adding a switch.

Reusing the aperture ring of the lens as AF/MF switch seems the right way to go. It does confuse new users sometimes, and a potential solution is to affix sticker labels on the aperture ring saying "AF" and "MF".

For 645, there is now room, but to have a consistent UI between the N series and 645, I still think reusing the aperture ring of the lens as AF/MF switch would be the right way to go.

MLVegas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Conorus,

I think your use of the apreture ring is an awesome solution. Creating an extra switch adds a potential point of failure. The more part you have just more labor and more parts in the system. The apreture ring is proven and quite honestly if it fails its a Contax issue not a Conurus issue. From an ergonomic standpoint it affords a very actuation while keeping your eye in the viewfinder. Can't wait for the 645 adapter.

Regards,
Matthew
MLVegas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to say a very "smooth" actuation
Lulumi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me know once the adaptor for Contax 645 to EOS becomes available, so I can order it.

Thanks.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make an announcement to all members of this forum by email when new products become available. Thank you very much!
shokunin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too familiar with 645 lenses, however, would there be a focal length conversion due to adapting a 645 to an EF mount on a FF 5D camera? I'm just wondering if a Contax 35mm F3.5 distagon would be on a 5D? Would it still be a 35mm F3.5 or would I need to multiply the focal length by .6 or some other factor due to smaller sensor size? What about aperture?

Thanks
glenn
tyr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> I'm not too familiar with 645 lenses, however, would there be a focal length conversion due to adapting a 645 to an EF mount on a FF 5D camera? I'm just wondering if a Contax 35mm F3.5 distagon would be on a 5D? Would it still be a 35mm F3.5 or would I need to multiply the focal length by .6 or some other factor due to smaller sensor size? What about aperture? <<<

It would still be a 35mm f/3.5 lens on a full frame 35mm camera like the EOS5D. Any lens on a full frame 35mm camera will have its true focal length as the "equivalent focal length" because, well, your frame of reference is the 35mm full frame itself Smile The fact is the 35mm f/3.5 on a Contax 645 body will be an ultra wide angle lens roughly "equivalent" to a 21mm lens on a 35mm full frame camera. The aperture value is still what it is, f/3.5.

Note that the 35/3.5 is designed to cover the 645 film format so its image circle will be larger than that of a 35 mm lens designed for a 35mm SLR which makes the lens larger and heavier than necessary for a 35mm camera. You can argue that one benefit though is that you are not using the outer areas of its image circle where the image performance is likely to be worse (aberrations, sharpness, vignetting, etc).
darekd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: 400mm Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting 400/4.0 converted for canon. I can also help you with some verification/testing: I have 1ds mkII, 5d, canon teleconverter 1.4 II and canon teleconverter 2 II, canon 500/4.0. I have access to some test equimpment like scopes and logic analyzers... if you need some protocol data.
Let me know
darek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: