conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 24-85 has begun to hunt and...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kentphotos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: My 24-85 has begun to hunt and... Reply with quote

won't lock to AF, and won't meter my Canon 580EX I speedlight.

Is there anything I can do without sending it in?

Can I send it in even thought "new" lens conversions are not being accepted?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but we would rather not risk a "return to sender" in case your package arrives late and we are unable to receive your package because we are gone already. We would certainly have a look if you wouldn't mind sending it to us on approximately 09/27. We will arrive just in time to collect it on approximately 10/04.

I really have no idea of what has gone wrong because I have never seen this condition before. Other cases have the autofocus stops turning but not hunting like yours. However, I would be very happy to take a look and try to figure it out.

Thank you very much!
kentphotos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: May I ship to you now? Reply with quote

And will you perform the upgrade to the 2010 board at the same time?

Is there any charge (other than shipping)?

Thanks,

Kent
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard charges are listed here:

http://support.conurus.com/viewtopic.php?t=97&start=15

Would you mind explaining the problem in greater detail? I wish to make sure your lens really has a problem before working on it.

For example, does the camera displays the lens' maximum and minimum apertures properly? By not metering with your flash what did you mean?
kentphotos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autofocus simply hunts back and forth without locking on any feature in the frame, even when I try to give the focus point a vertical or horizontal contrast feature to use.

In the past I'd been able to use my EX580 Speetlite with this lens, but as soon as I began having this focus "hunting" issue, the exposure readings didn't seem to be getting to the flash at all. The flash would fire, sometimes, and when it did the images were about 2-3 stops too dark.

I swapped in my EF 24-105 f/4 L lens, and all was fine. I was hoping to use the 24-85 Vario-Sonnar exclusively for non-sports work, but I've had to re-assess. I love the images from this lens, and the zoom range is just right for my style of shooting, so I'm willing to spend some time and effort to get it working again.

Should I send it to you?

In the meantime I'm thinking of picking up a Contax Zeiss 35-70 f/3.4 manual lens with a chipped adapter as a stop-gap--it's a Zeiss in terms of color and contrast, and it's sharp too....
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Please send it back to us and declare it as "defective merchandise returned to vendor for repair". We will conduct investigation into the issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: