conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modify NAM-1 problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> 645 and 6x6 Medium Format
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackyman29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Modify NAM-1 problem Reply with quote

My NAM-1 mod# 22222035, problem is once I used with Canon 500D with 45mm F2.8, 80mm F2.0, 140 F2.8 and 210 F4. it will have a aperture click sound but there is no movement with the aperture. That click sound will happen around every 3 seconds. That click sound will disappear if I hold the aperture stop-down button. What I can do?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may notice a click noise when you half-press the shutter button or first turn-on the camera. However, it is not supposed to repeatedly click every 3 seconds. Since you are in Vancouver, BC, we would be very much appreciated if you would make an appointment with us and bring along your camera body and your adapter for a quick check-up. Thanks!
jackyman29

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply, actually the adaptor and my camera is in Hong Kong now. I can ask my friend to bring back the adaptor for you to check, do you need my 500D?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I wonder if this problem is specific to the 500D or not. I certainly can't produce the problem with my 5D mark II and a converted NAM-1.

If you would kindly try your NAM-1 with a different camera model and let me know the result, that would be great.

If it turns out to happen only on a 500D, I could buy a Rebel T1i here (North American 500D) and come up with a resolution first, and then arrange for your NAM-1 to be firmware-updated in Hong Kong.

Before that, I would like to identify whether it is specific to the 500D or does the 3-second click occurs on all Canon camera models? (That would mean we would need to service the circuitry of the NAM-1 itself.)

Thank you!

jackyman29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have try the NAM-1 on 5DII & 7D nothing happen and everything work fine. The problem only happen with my 500D.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your information! I placed an order for a Rebel T1i and I will come up with a new firmware version in a few weeks. Then, I will arrange for a firmware update for you in Hong Kong.
jackyman29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much and will wait for your good news. By the way I m the owner of N70-300 which I drop off myself on early Aug, when will be finish modify? Thanks!
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but all non-technical questions concerning order status, turnaround, etc. please ask by email, since the rest of the world would most likely not be interested. Thank you for your understanding!
jackyman29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: NAM-1 with my 500D Reply with quote

Any news for the firmware update?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First the bad news: I did quite a bit of research on the communication protocol of the Rebel T1i/500D and concluded that the periodic click noise problem is inherently unsolvable.

There are 2 good news: if the Rebel T1i/500D camera body has firmware version 1.0.9, there is no periodic click noise. The periodic click noise only occurs after upgrading to firmware 1.1.0. The second good news is, despite the annoyance of the click noise, everything remains functional.

If this problem is unacceptable to you, we would be happy to revert your NAM-1 back to N mount and offer you a full refund.

Even on a Contax N camera body or a Contax 645 camera body, Distagon 35/3.5, Distagon 45/2.8, Planar 80/2, Makro-Planar 120/4, Sonnar 140/2.8, Sonnar 210/4 and Tele-Apotessar 350/4 would all make a 'click' noise whenever the camera body's power switch is turned on.

We found the Rebel T1i/500D periodically turns the lens off every 3 seconds and then turns the lens power on again. This occurs with even genuine Canon lenses so it is not due to conurus firmware - that is just the way the camera operates. We also found that the camera body's behaviour changed with camera firmware v1.1.0, as the same camera body with camera firmware v1.0.9 did not suffer from the periodic click noise problem. I think v1.0.9 was the earliest Canon firmware and was not available for download. So, if you have ever firmware-updated your camera body, there is no way to revert it to the old v1.0.9 Canon firmware to solve the periodic click noise problem.

Unfortunately, conurus firmware has no control over when the camera body powers on or powers off the lens. That is entirely up to the discretion of the camera body.

jackyman29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the case, I keep as is and will upgrade my camera. Thank you so much for all the information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> 645 and 6x6 Medium Format All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: