conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MM communication chip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamSK Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: MM communication chip Reply with quote

Hi Conurus,

Sorry if this is off topic but I've been wondering if you have thought about developing a solution that would allow for MM lenses to fully communicate and function with Canon?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but we have no plans to develop anything for MM lenses or AE lenses. The reasons are as follows:

1, I don't own, use or have any expertise in MM/AE lenses.

2, The camera interrogates the lens for a lot of lens-specific information related to exposure and focusing. We simply translate the same information from a N-mount lens and relay that to the camera body after applying the appropriate translation. The information did not exist in manual focus lenses to begin with, and we could not conjure them out of nowhere.

3, It appears that there have already been a number of manual-focus focus confirmation chip products on the market and we do not wish to compete with them.

4, While the N stuff is very hard to copy, a focus confirmation chip designed for MM/AE can be plagiarized easily and we won't be able to compete with a clone because we spend the development costs but they don't.

5, We do not have the mechanical actuator technology to stop down the aperture, and I do not wish to introduce a half-solution and try to sell it. I do not enjoy stopped-down metering and a lot of others are in the same boat. N is the way to go.
TeamSK Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I hadn't realized that the aperture was operated mechanically. Embarassed
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, the aperture diaphragm of an autofocus N mount lens converted to EF mount is entirely controlled by the camera, because for both lens mounts, the control of the aperture diaphragm is electronic.

For older MM/AE manual focus lenses, however, the Y/C mount uses a mechanical lever to control the aperture diaphragm. We do not have the technology to push the aperture diaphragm lever to stop down a manual focus lens, at least we couldn't make it so small that it can fit. For Y/C mount manual focus lenses, stopped-down metering is required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: