conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manual Focusing lenses, Dandelion and Optix V chips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Manual Focusing lenses, Dandelion and Optix V chips Reply with quote

I understand that Metabones EF-E adapters do not officially support manual focus (alternative) lenses, Dandelion and Optix V chips. But I am sure many Contax N users are also users of such lenses on Canon systems. So using the indirect way of the same adapted to EF mount lenses with the Metabones adapter would be a more convenient and economical method vs having to have another collection of direct adapters, on Sony A7/R.

Can you let us know if Dandelion and Optix V chips can be used to record the exif information (more for the purpose of lenses identification) ?

Would you be keen to take note of unchipped adapted lenses issue, in the hope that they may be resolved by a future fix? I know that I cannot do a delayed timer of 2s and 10s when using an adapted to EF lenses on Metabones adapter.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Metabones Smart Adapters and Speed Booster have a number of data integrity checks to make sure information returned from the lens makes sense. This is done for the cinematographic community where lengthy continuous video requires rock solid lens communication.

We have not looked into the focus confirmation chip issues but we suspect that some of these chips return incorrect data which fails one or more of the data integrity tests. The communication cannot conclude successfully and a blank screen results.

The data integrity tests are pretty strict, but not in any way unreasonable. In addition to Canon lenses of course, all Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses would pass those data integrity tests - even those Sigmas suffering from the infamous Err 99 issue. I would suggest speaking to your chip vendor and see if they can fix the issue on their end. They are responsible for making sure their chips emulate a real lens as faithfully as possible from an electronic standpoint.

We will conclude however with the disclaimer that we will not be able to officially support any focus confirmation chip. Use them at your own risk.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Sony NEX Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: