conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this too much to expect?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
upallnight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirius wrote:

I got 24-85 and 50/1.4 converted.

nice!

pirius wrote:

There are plenty of great pictures on FM forum: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/850075

which are yours? i've seen that thread before, but figured it would be cool to post some of your work here, to make it more personal.

pirius wrote:

24-85 is awesome and I had it already so I knew what to expect. 50/1.4 is also great, I like the look a lot, but in my initial tests autofocus is inconsistent on 5D Mark II, especially indoors. Plus it front focuses quite a bit, but I've fixed that with AF microadjustment feature in the camera.

did you get another 24-85 converted? what lens(es) do you use on the wide end?

the reason i ask is that i wonder how you find the 24-85 relative to the 50 (in image quality), and i wonder what spurred you to (a) have a couple copies (if i read that right) and (b) also go with the 50 and 85.

thanks for sharing!
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: My view on this dispute Reply with quote

Pirius,

I think what is important here is how to get your lens to work. In my opinion, even restoring it to the original mount and working condition would have been a compromise as you still will not be able to use the lens on your 5DMkII. There isn't a second Conurus who can do the conversion.

I have sent my CY lenses to Kyocera before. If after the initial evaluation and quotation, you do not want to proceed to the repair, you will only incur the shipping cost to Japan one way. Kyocera packed and pay for the return shipping in my case. The time taken to quote takes approximately 1 week. I would suggest to have the lens sent to Kyocera to perform the necessary repair and then back to Bo-ming to perform the conversion again.

As to who foots the bill for the repair. One way would be you pay for the repair by Kyocera and Bo-Ming converts for you at minus the repair cost. I am assuming your repair cost is not more than $799. So in this case, you do not pay more than what you have set aside for the conversion. And Bo-Ming does not suffer a loss for his parts and add on to his credential as doing his utmost to maintain customer goodwill. While no party will come away with a cent more, both parties do not suffer any losses. This is just my suggestion.

I also have a N17-35, 24-85 and 50 converted by Bo-Ming and am looking to add a N100, 70-200 and another 24-85 once I have done enough research on them.
pirius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upallnight wrote:

which are yours? i've seen that thread before, but figured it would be cool to post some of your work here, to make it more personal.

pirius wrote:

24-85 is awesome and I had it already so I knew what to expect. 50/1.4 is also great, I like the look a lot, but in my initial tests autofocus is inconsistent on 5D Mark II, especially indoors. Plus it front focuses quite a bit, but I've fixed that with AF microadjustment feature in the camera.

did you get another 24-85 converted? what lens(es) do you use on the wide end?

the reason i ask is that i wonder how you find the 24-85 relative to the 50 (in image quality), and i wonder what spurred you to (a) have a couple copies (if i read that right) and (b) also go with the 50 and 85.

thanks for sharing!

The little blond boy on page 15 is mine Smile http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/850075/15
I just love this lens! Every time I look at the results I am immediately very pleased, which was never the case with equivalent Canon lenses. If it was a bit faster it would be a perfect walk-around lens, but even now it is better than anything else. I rarely need to go wider than 24mm and Contax 17-35 is just too big for me.
Regarding 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 I am just a big fan of these focal distances. I have quite a collection in both ranges but with manual focus, so I wanted the same image quality plus autofocus. From what I see, 50N has tons of character, the "atmospheric" feel to pictures as some call it - you can "see" the air between the objects.

ManWearPants wrote:

I have sent my CY lenses to Kyocera before. If after the initial evaluation and quotation, you do not want to proceed to the repair, you will only incur the shipping cost to Japan one way. Kyocera packed and pay for the return shipping in my case. The time taken to quote takes approximately 1 week. I would suggest to have the lens sent to Kyocera to perform the necessary repair and then back to Bo-ming to perform the conversion again.

As to who foots the bill for the repair. One way would be you pay for the repair by Kyocera and Bo-Ming converts for you at minus the repair cost. I am assuming your repair cost is not more than $799. So in this case, you do not pay more than what you have set aside for the conversion. And Bo-Ming does not suffer a loss for his parts and add on to his credential as doing his utmost to maintain customer goodwill. While no party will come away with a cent more, both parties do not suffer any losses. This is just my suggestion.

That would perfect resolution IMO...
upallnight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirius wrote:

The little blond boy on page 15 is mine Smile http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/850075/15
I just love this lens! Every time I look at the results I am immediately very pleased, which was never the case with equivalent Canon lenses. If it was a bit faster it would be a perfect walk-around lens, but even now it is better than anything else. I rarely need to go wider than 24mm and Contax 17-35 is just too big for me.
Regarding 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 I am just a big fan of these focal distances. I have quite a collection in both ranges but with manual focus, so I wanted the same image quality plus autofocus. From what I see, 50N has tons of character, the "atmospheric" feel to pictures as some call it - you can "see" the air between the objects.

awesome shot! thanks so much for sharing. that image has a great 3d feel to it, i agree.

i have some interest in the 24-85 but am held back by a few things:
1/ i do tend to prefer the wide side of things -- it's how i tend to view the world; the 17-35 will be a key part of my arsenal.
2/ it's not fast enough to eliminate my need for the 50/1.4 (or 85/1.4, but that's not one i have).
3/ if it's going to be a walk-about lens for me, i'd prefer either a little more reach and either a little faster or image stabilization.

from the examples i've seen, it sure does make amazing pictures in good light.

if i'm getting the 50 & 17-35 converted, which lens should be next? Smile

i like the notion of the 400/4, but that will never happen. even if i could find it and afford it, i couldn't deal with the weight for the way i shoot.
pirius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to the post office and they told me to bring the lens in and they will probably pay the insured amount in exchange for it. The problem is that the package was only insured for $1,000 Canadian dollars and the lens is worth over $2,000 American so the insurance is worthless. They said at the post office that if the package was sent as registered mail with full declared value I would probably get reimbursed for the full cost, but that was not done.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you turn in your lens to the post office for $1,000 (Canadian) we would refund the conversion fee in full, but it appears to make more economic sense to repair the lens.

You mentioned you have paid over $2,000 by this time and let's say it is exactly $2,000. If you agree to fixing the lens by Contax Japan let's say you only pay the first $200 and we pay the rest of the repair bill. This is an offer to you only and does not set a precedent for others to follow.

[edit: in the end, conurus paid the entire repair bill incurred by the customer.]

Last edited by conurus on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
pirius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does not make economic sense to turn it to the post office, I agree.

Thanks for the offer! The lens is currently being evaluated by the Southern Photo Technical Service (http://www.sp-ts.com/) to see if it's an easy fix that they can do locally. If not then I'll accept your offer and will ship it back to you together with the 50N that we discussed.
ManWearPants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that a resolution has been found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: