conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Image Stabilizer (IS) doesn't work on 70-200 F4 IS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Image Stabilizer (IS) doesn't work on 70-200 F4 IS? Reply with quote

Hi, Conurus
I'm a long time looker on your forum. I got the first batch of the NEX adaptor last week, the firmware of the adaptor is Ver.01.
I know you have tested the adaptor on Sigma 18-125, and the OS did work, but I tried it on Canon EF 70-200mm F4 IS, EF 70-200 F2.8 II IS and EF 100mm F2.8 IS (macro), none of them showed any sign of a working Image Stabilizer. The IS switch on the lens was turned on, the SteadyShot option on my NEX-5C was on, so I'm not sure if I missed something or the lens adaptor just won't take any lens with the second/third generation of the Canon IS technology. Confused Thanks for any input.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your problem report. I suspect there is a second generation of IS Canon lenses which works differently from the first generation. For example, the EF 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM works fine. To test that theory, we just purchased a EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM to test and we will be able to fix any problems found within a few days.
tbyork2010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the IS for the 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM (3-stops) is different to the 70-200mm f4 L IS USM (4-stops). This will also be different to the 100mm f2.8 L IS USM (which is also 4-stops but is Canon's latest version). Perhaps the 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM (4-stops) will be closer to that of the 70-200mm f4 L IS USM.

Boon
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have got the IS problems figured out and fixed. We tested for example the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM, the EF 100/2.8L IS USM macro and the EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS II, and with the EF 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM we used in the past for testing, I think we are covering IS lenses of various different vintages.

In addition to IS fixes, Adapter Firmware Ver.02 has performance and stability improvements, as well as some undocumented features we will reveal later. It passed our final QC yesterday and I think Metabones is busy packing and shipping them now.

My apologies we did not get this right with Adapter Firmware Ver.00 and Ver.01. Please kindly give us an opportunity to rectify by returning your adapters to Metabones for a free update to Firmware Ver.02, if you are affected. Metabones will even reimburse your return shipping charges. (By issuing a partial PayPal refund, I guess.)

Short of some other major problem, we will start charging shipping for adapter firmware updates in the future (in case customers ask for some feature enhancements resulting in some Ver.03 in the future). But I guess Ver.02 is rock solid and should have no need to update in the near future. We tested Ver.02 over a wide range of camera bodies and lenses rather extensively but if you should still find any issues with it please let us know by email. Thanks!
hdierolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Firmware updates Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
I think we have got the IS problems figured out and fixed. We tested for example the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM, the EF 100/2.8L IS USM macro and the EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS II, and with the EF 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM we used in the past for testing, I think we are covering IS lenses of various different vintages.

In addition to IS fixes, Adapter Firmware Ver.02 has performance and stability improvements, as well as some undocumented features we will reveal later. It passed our final QC yesterday and I think Metabones is busy packing and shipping them now.

My apologies we did not get this right with Adapter Firmware Ver.00 and Ver.01. Please kindly give us an opportunity to rectify by returning your adapters to Metabones for a free update to Firmware Ver.02, if you are affected. Metabones will even reimburse your return shipping charges. (By issuing a partial PayPal refund, I guess.)

Short of some other major problem, we will start charging shipping for adapter firmware updates in the future (in case customers ask for some feature enhancements resulting in some Ver.03 in the future). But I guess Ver.02 is rock solid and should have no need to update in the near future. We tested Ver.02 over a wide range of camera bodies and lenses rather extensively but if you should still find any issues with it please let us know by email. Thanks!

It is a pain to ship the adapter to Hong Kong every time. There should either be a provision for the enlightened user to upgrade the firmware and/or a place in North America to ship the adapter to.

I am an engineer and believe upgrading the firmware is not rocket science. Tell me if I am wrong.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Sony has some (user downloadable/installable) proprietary software to be able to update the firmware of an adapter (e.g. LA-EA1) through the camera body connected to a computer by USB. However, we do not have access to that proprietary software and we did not have specifications of the firmware update protocol.

Although Conurus is in Vancouver, Canada, Canada Post is so slow and expensive that it is usually faster/cheaper to ship from Hong Kong, even when the destination is the United States next door! Canada Post had a major labour dispute last year and they were on strike basically shutting down virtually all mail delivery. Even though they were subsequently legislated to work in our experience and view the speed and service have never come back to a normal level as before.

My apologies again for the hassle to all customers of Ver.00 and Ver.01. But those were behind us and Ver.02 is in fact working very well. There was subsequently a Ver.03 with a small improvement of the IS switch of the lens and I will be working on a Ver.04 over this weekend to officially add VG20 support. We will probably continuously make small improvements to the firmware in the future. However now that there are not any major issues any more, I think from now on, it would be rare for a customer to actually be in need of a firmware update.
hdierolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Firmware updates Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Sony has some (user downloadable/installable) proprietary software to be able to update the firmware of an adapter (e.g. LA-EA1) through the camera body connected to a computer by USB. However, we do not have access to that proprietary software and we did not have specifications of the firmware update protocol.

Although Conurus is in Vancouver, Canada, Canada Post is so slow and expensive that it is usually faster/cheaper to ship from Hong Kong, even when the destination is the United States next door! Canada Post had a major labour dispute last year and they were on strike basically shutting down virtually all mail delivery. Even though they were subsequently legislated to work in our experience and view the speed and service have never come back to a normal level as before.

My apologies again for the hassle to all customers of Ver.00 and Ver.01. But those were behind us and Ver.02 is in fact working very well. There was subsequently a Ver.03 with a small improvement of the IS switch of the lens and I will be working on a Ver.04 over this weekend to officially add VG20 support. We will probably continuously make small improvements to the firmware in the future. However now that there are not any major issues any more, I think from now on, it would be rare for a customer to actually be in need of a firmware update.

The adaptor has a connector and I assume that that connector gives direct access to the memory in the adaptor and that is your conduit for upgrading.
I live in California and given a cable and the necessary software or instruction, I would be willing to do a reasonable number of the upgrades here. Our postal system still functions reasonably well.

Also, Metabones has the email address of each customer who bought an adaptor. Why does a customer have to figure out the hard way that the firmware does not work fully. Any supplier who cares for their customers would automatically notify of a necessary upgrade.

I am not complaining about the evolution of the firmware; it is actually a good thing that you work on it and improve it. My beef is with the process and lack of direct communication.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Sony NEX Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: