conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you PM someone, the recipient would know your email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you PM someone
your email address shall not be revealed to the recipient
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
the recipient knows your email and can reply to you by email instead of by PM
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: If you PM someone, the recipient would know your email Reply with quote

The email notification to the recipient shows the private message itself, as well as the sender's username.

However, the sender's email address is not revealed to you. It is assumed that if you PM someone instead of emailing someone you are trying to communicate with a fellow member without revealing each other's email address.

BUT, you can't "reply-to" your PM notification from your email. Your reply will go to the forum administrator instead!

It appears that our members expect to hit "reply" from the PM email notification and contact the sender outside of the PM system. The only thing stopping us from implementing that way was we are not sure if your email address cannot be revealed to the fellow forum member you PM'ed to. It is a potential privacy issue, albeit a minor one.

(Note: in any case your email address is never revealed to the world unless you consent to do so in your forum "profile" settings.)

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by conurus on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to make a change to PM (private message) so that if you PM someone, your email address will appear in the "Reply-to" field of your recipient's PM notification email.

Admittedly, much of the decision was owing to a selfish reason and my apologies for that - I pretended to be democratic here but I lied - I just got a huge number of private messages and I cannot respond to them quickly enough. If all those are routed to my email I can stay organized with a single inbox, but I would need the PM sender's email address in the PM notification email in order for this scheme to work.

Rest assured if you never send anyone any PM's and you disable the email display option in your profile, your email will never be revealed to anyone except the administrators of this site.

Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: