conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I identify my lens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcusM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: How do I identify my lens Reply with quote

I have a Contax Planar 1.4/85, a Planar 1.4/50, a Distagon 2/28, a Mutar I 2x convertor and a Contax 137 MA Quartz - which has stopped working. This link, http://www.leitax.com/conversion/contax/Planar_8514/index.html shows how to put an alternative bayonet on the 85 lens so it can be used on a Pentax digital SLR. Unfortunately my lens is different and I can't do this conversion. The 85 doesn't have the green f16 numbers and its mounting screws are within the bayonet itself not on the lens back - if that makes sense. My questions are: Exactly what model is this lens? Can I convert it to fit on a contemporary digital SLR? I've been told that the lenses are practically useless and I've been offered $1000 Australian for the whole kit which includes a Contax branded leather case and a Contax flash. I've been told that there is a manual version of the 137 and the only practical thing I can do is buy one of those and use the lenses on it. Anyone have any thoughts on my situation?
Y M WAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By adding a non-destructive adapter ring to them, they can be used perfectly well on Canon, Olympus 4/3 or m4/3, and Sony NEX. Search in e-Bay with for example CY to EOS adapter, etc and you will get plenty results. Or you may visit “http://haodascreen.com/ear.aspx” as a start.

Yet, by using such adapter, you have to do focusing maually, and stop-down too.

Hope you enjoy when your lens come alive again Razz .
MarcusM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: My lenses are different Reply with quote

Thanks Y M Wan for your reply. It's just that they are all manual lenses anyway and the lenses that i have are different to the one in the link you posted as I said in my original post. My Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 doesn't have the screws in the same position on its back that are on the lens in the link. And therefore can't be modified.

So what lens do I have and can it be modified? I don't know how to add images to this reply so I can't show you - frustration Confused
mwtphoto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your lens doesn't have to be modified. an adapter can be added to it. one side of the adapter fits the contax lens and the other side will fit a canon eos mount. An 85/1.4 in good condition is worth $600 cdn.
mwtphoto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go on ebay and search "contax to canon" and you will see many adapters for sale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: