conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FIXED: Fitment issue with Tamron/Kenko teleconverter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: FIXED: Fitment issue with Tamron/Kenko teleconverter Reply with quote

Applicable lenses:
VS24-85
VS28-80
VS70-200
VS70-300
MS100

Issue: the listed lenses, after N to EF conversion, have a fitment issue with the Tamron SP 1.4x AF teleconverter. The conurus circuit board will rub slightly against the protruding front of the teleconverter. The circuit board will not touch the glass, but it will touch the surrounding black plastic protrusion, and may leave wear marks on both the teleconverter and the conurus circuit board after repeated lens attachments and removals.

Obviously, Canon's own EF 1.4x teleconverter will not fit at all, but the issue we have identified here is that the Tamron teleconverter will apparently fit and appear fully functional but a plastic part of the teleconverter touches our circuit board.

We heard reports that the Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter has the same construction as the Tamron we tested, and it may be subject to the same fitment issue.

Resolution: there is no solution to this issue, other than choosing a different teleconverter. Unfortunately, we are not able to make our circuit board any smaller to completely clear the protruding front of the Tamron teleconverter. We have already tried our best to miniaturize our circuit board and we are unable to shrink it any further.

Last edited by conurus on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
MomoInu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only repsonse is why would you destroy the look of your exquisite Zeiss glass with a Tamron or Kenko teleconverter anyway? I wouldn't even think of doing it.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all wish to fit a Zeiss Mutar in between, but there is no such a thing. On the other hand, the Canon EF 1.4x won't fit either. So the remaining choices are: either not using any teleconverters, or use a Tamron, Sigma or Kenko. I discovered that not even a Tamron would fit. I would rather let all customers know all known problems before their purchase, even if the problem is small.

In any case, Canon does not permit their OEM teleconverters to be coupled to their EF 24-85/3.5-4.5 either, so why should I? But since they are clear and up front to their customers, maybe I should be clear and up front to mine, too.

luposf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fitment issue with Tamron (and possibly Kenko) teleconve Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
Applicable lenses:
VS24-85
VS28-80
VS70-200
VS70-300
MS100

This means You already tested the conversion on 28-80 and 70-200?

Shocked

LupoSF
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just began manufacturing mount replacement kits for VS28-80 and VS70-200. If nothing goes wrong, they will be available in October. Meanwhile, thank you for your patience!
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new mounts introduced in Oct 2006, which requires soldering to install, does not have any fitment issues with an aftermarket 1.4x teleconverter. The real focal length/aperture will not be reported to the camera. Instead, the original focal length/aperture will be reported (70-300/4-5.6 remains 70-300/4-5.6 in the resulting EXIF). You will experience more AF hunting when a teleconverter is used.

VS28-80 and VS70-200, unfortunately, are delayed. I do not have a new date yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: