conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filters on N 24-85mm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcwilson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Filters on N 24-85mm Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a question about using filters on a N 24-85 and so thought this would be a good place to ask! (I am looking at using one on my canon and so looking at getting one already converted or used to get converted if time allows)

I know the filter thread is 82mm but I happen to have a couple of almost new mrc 86mm filters (nd and uv).
With the way the hood fits etc would there be any problems to using 86mm filters on a step ring (82-86) with this lens?
Firstly physically will they fit and secondly are there any problems with vignetting with filters at the wide end...here I assume step up + 86mm would be worse than a direct 82mm filter.

Thanks,

Marc
mwtphoto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Marc

the hood for the 24-85 is fairly tight fitting - judging by how hard it is to get the lens cap on and off. i think the step up ring might interfere with the hood.

Mark
John Black

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to use a Contax #1 metal hood screwed into the filters front threads. 24mm on the 24-85N is right on the cusp of vignetting, so the step-up+filter+#1 hood might be pushing it for the wide end.
marcwilson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,

Would using a hood like that give enough shading at the long end also..I like the idea of a smaller hood to the petal shaped one.
asimo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah the metal hood + 82-86 step up ring would cause vignetting...maybe thats why they made a special hood for it
John Black

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcwilson wrote:
Thanks John,

Would using a hood like that give enough shading at the long end also..I like the idea of a smaller hood to the petal shaped one.

The W1 (82mm threads) works on the 16-35L II. I wonder if the previous poster actually tried that combination? A step up ring is usually thinner than a filter, so if a filter doesn't vignette, then a step up ring won't either. Anyway, I'm sure the petal hoods are more effective, but the Contax approach can have its advantages. I travel with a combination of Canon and Contax lenses and the Canon hoods are space hogs in the bag. I use the W1, #1 and #4 metal hoods with various rings. Re-using Contax hoods with Canon lenses means carrying 3 less Canon hoods.

Unscrewing the hood & ring from one lens to the next can be tedious, but there are also some huge advantage with the longer lenses (35mm and longer). You can use a normal CPL (instead of thin) and then screw the hood into the CPL. That means you can rotate the CPL without having to remove the hood!!! I use grads & CPL's quite abit, so this makes life much easier. I also like using the Contax metal caps with the metal hoods.

If you still have some Contax hoods, etc., give them a shot and see how they work. For the Canon lenses I bought a 72-86 and 77-86 rings off Ebay - the cheap Chinese made ones for $8 - they work just fine. Beats paying $20-$40 for B&H step rings.
asimo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried the step up ring for 82 to 86 and used the 86 hood, shows vignetting on a 1Ds Mk2
marcwilson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I just tried it with contax metal hood on step up ring with(out) filter etc and loads of vignetting...petal hood it is...still overall much more compact than the canon 24-105 its replacing!
MCTuomey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so marc, have you decided on the conversion yet? i'm going with one myself after selling several EF and alternative primes to fund it. but it sounds like time is pressing, no?
marcwilson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very luckily came across one already converted for sale from someone here on this forum...very lucky!
asimo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this one works

http://cgi.ebay.com/82mm-Wide-Angle-Metal-Lens-Hood-SunShade-82-mm-Screw-in_W0QQitemZ230178883202QQihZ013QQcategoryZ78999QQcmdZViewItem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: