conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contax N 17-35mm Conversion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to get an update from my machine shop - they should have been ready 2 weeks ago but I knew they never delivered on time, that's why I said November.

And no I cannot pound on the table and yell at them. Instead, I am actually very grateful to every one of my suppliers for taking my miserably small orders.

Recently, I have decided to stop communicating the schedule, because as you can see, 1, actually I have no control over the schedule, but I am at the mercy of my suppliers and 2, giving dates that I was unable to meet has caused disappointment in the past. When they show up, I will announce by emailing all board members.

BTW, soldering is required and the installation becomes more difficult - you should consider having me do the work this time, and start thinking how to ship the lens to Canada in a safe, secure manner. Actually, Taiwan and Vancouver have close ties and one of your acqaintances might be a frequent flyer between the two.
mOnAmis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: The little tag that has to be removed Reply with quote

Can you tell me what the function of the tag that is on the back of the 17-35. You know the one you say has to be trimmed by 2mm or so. On the mirror boc of my N D there is a little hole with a sensor in it on the right as you look into it. Does this have something to do with the tag? Its not on other lenses so why the 17-35.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware that there is a sensor for that tab on the N Digital. I will check with my NX to see if it has that sensor.

Only the N50/1.4 and N17-35/2.8 have that tab. It is a mystery so far as to why they have that tab. But, I speculate that it serves a mechanical function. If it has to do with AF, metering or image processing, it could be done via the electronic communication protocol.

On an unrelated note, that tiny tab will hit the mirror of a Canon full frame only if the lens is not fully attached. But you never know, if you do not attach the 17-35 fully and trip the shutter, the mirror may get jammed and you may not even be able to remove the lens without serious damage to the mirror. I do not expect photographers in the real world to never make mistakes, hence the recommendation to trim 2mm off that tab.

The rear element itself of the 17-35 is impossible to hit the mirror. After conversion, it does not even protrude beyond the 3 bayonet blades of the Canon mount.

conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find the sensor which detects the protruding tab on a Contax NX. Would anyone with a N Digital help me out by taking a picture of that sensor in the mirror chamber? Thanks.
hubsand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Now the first handful of 17-35N conversions are in circulation, looks like we could use an update: Andrew Gough's testing has shown the 17-35N to be uniquely capable of delivering sensor-pleasing resolution in the outer image circle truly sharp corners in the 17-21mm range at apertures as large as f4 and f5.6. This puts the lens in territory occupied solely by the Zeiss 21mm.

Testing against the Nikon 17-35mm is ongoing, but there are encouraging signs already: the lens has absolutely no ghosting or lateral chromatic aberration and flare is amazingly well controlled, even better than the fabled 21mm Distagon. Full details to come . . .
mOnAmis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post any pictures?
meridianfoto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I buy a autofocus lens mount conversion kit for 17-35?

Geir Jenssen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: