conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contax G lens conversion to Oly/Pana m43?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aabenbareren

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Contax G lens conversion to Oly/Pana m43? Reply with quote

Would it be technically possible to convert Contax G-lenses into m43 mount to be used on Panasonic G and Olympus PEN cameras.

Did anyone dig into this? There's a lot of things happening in this new m43 format - with many more models to come - and there are a lot of G lenses lying around.

This is the first time, we have seen a digital no-mirror AF-camera system, so conversion of G lenses wasn't relevant before now.

Any insight or other help on this issue would be heartly welcomed Smile

Thanks.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real AF would be necessary because the G lenses have no manual focus ring, except the Hologon. A brushless DC motor would be required to drive the autofocus shaft. This is significantly more complicated than the N to EF conversion we are currently offering.

Unfortunately we being a small company cannot afford the development costs involved. However if anyone with the capital who would invest in this venture, we can talk.

I could not figure out how to deal with the aperture - the aperture is mechanical and belongs completely to the lens. For the Contax G mount, the camera does not even know where the aperture is set to, let alone control it. My understanding is that contrast detect AF requires the camera to be able to control the lens' aperture to be able to work - if you own one of those m43 camera please confirm or deny one way or another. Maybe in the end I can figure out how to make the aperture controllable but it will add another pile of complexity. Again without some capital investment we would not be able to pull off something of this magnitude.

Our highest priorities at this point are,
1, to close our books and satisfy the tax authorities since fiscal year end is nigh.
2, clear our order backlog and not keep our paying patrons waiting.
3, development of the Contax 645 adapter to satisfy the prospective customers who have been waiting.

Without significantly expanding our hands are tied and we would not be able to consider new products. Some outside help is needed such as partnership with an established mount manufacturer or capital infusion to expand our R&D or the like.
europanorama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: wait for samsung nx Reply with quote

samsung nx-announced for spring 09. this aps-c based system will take up any lens, i suspect. wow!
btw: there are rumors about a similar camera but most probably smaller( a bit bigger than g10) with fixed 24-70mm lens.
my first trials with zeiss to eos told me. under available light stabilized eos- lenses are better.i could not hold 1/30 with zeiss 45/2.8.
see a short videotest at youtoube-europanoramic go to vimeo-link for high res. its me, the lady-photographer did a marvelous job of focussing and following. i was moving in a circle.
more test will be done. from 18 to 135mm. i do not yet have an eos. will also test 5dmkII asap.
MomoInu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that there is an innovative new adapter available to allow you to use some of the Contax G lenses on micro 4/3rds. Apparently the 21 and 28mm lenses don't work. (sensor issues, as I understand it). But the 45/2 Planar should make a lovely portrait lens on the E-P2.

See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200401457777&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
europanorama

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using two adapters c/y to g(ga-1) and adapter to m43 would make it possible to use any zeiss. i would prefer using my zeiss on the bigger aps-c-samsung nx10 with incamera stabilization.
MomoInu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really waiting to see how the NX10 turns out. I am hoping that it appears more like the form of the GF1 and E-P1 cameras, rather than the GH-1. So far, it looks more like I GH-1 clone, as in this picture: http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/47/camera-specifications.jpg
The prism bulge and grip make this body bulkier than it needs to be, and defats to purpose of this camera as "compact". The similar Panasonic GH-1 really isn't that much smaller than the smallest Canon and Nikon DSLR's. Further, I hope Samsung comes out with a few pancake prime lenses, to really make it compact. You'll probably be able to use the Pentax pancake lenses, but from a compactness perspective, not ideal because you will have the thickness of the adapter (which going from the DSLR mount to a micro-format lens mount is significant). Something like Panasonic's 20/1.7 would be nice. Further, I hope Samsung will be able to have an updated version of their 14.6 mp sensor. The current version, in the Pentax K-7 and K20 shows itself to be noticeably noisier than Canon's and Sony's (Nikon) APS sensors.
We'll see how it turns out. I also have a feeling that Sony will toss their hat into the micro-format ring.
europanorama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: zeiss on canon 500d Reply with quote

go to youtube-europanoramic and see a short videotest. there is a link to vimeo aeropanoramic. you will see HD-VIDEO of zeiss 45/2.8 tessar on canon 500d.
but: no incamera-stabilization. is highly needed. could not hold 1/30 on 45mm-lens(45x1.5).did not yet test sharpness of zeiss on eos 500d. i do not have the camera. when time is ripe(i have time) i will test it.
Lytton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: G Mount to Micro 4/3 Reply with quote

I've seen these adapters for G mount to micro 4/3, but it seems as though the lens length should be multiplied by 2. In effect, the 35, would be a 70, the 45 a 90, and the 90 a 180. Perhaps the most interesting is the 35-70 becoming a 70-140. None are of particularly practical use with exception to portraiture or anything else requiring a medium telephoto lens. Oh well... it's a step closer to a digital G as it gets or a camera system that could utilize these brilliant lenses to their full potential.

Here's to hopin'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Sony NEX Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: