conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon EF to Contax N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marktrav

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Canon EF to Contax N Reply with quote

Maybe this has been asked before, but I was wondering how hard the conversion would be to convert a Canon EF lens to the Contax N mount.

Personally, I really like shooting Fuji 100F slides on my N1 and scanning the better ones into my Minolta Elite 5400.

But I would like to add some more lenses to my selection. Maybe some Canon L lenses.

Or is there a set of adapters that would do the trick?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon EF film register, AKA flange-to-film is very short. 44mm. This is why many other's lenses will work on a Canon EF mount body. Contax RTS is 45.5mm, Contax-N is 48mm, etc., etc. This leaves room for an adapter or new mount with room for the lens to properly register itself, close-up through infinity focus.

Can't go the other way around. No way to get a Canon EF lens to sit in close enough to the further away film plane of the Contax-N body for the Canon lens to properly focus.
marktrav

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Does that mean that only lenses with a register of 48mm or greater would be candidates for N conversion? (hypothetically). So, the older Contax glass at 45.5 wouldn't work either would it? What is the 645 register?
marktrav

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind about the 645, it's 64mm flange to film.

I'm going to guess after reading up on the Zeiss "legacy" site that there probably aren't any other 35mm lenses with greater than 48mm flange to film distances. Are there?

It seems Zeiss chose 48mm because they intended to introduce some F1.0 glass at some point, which they obviously never did.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lens_mounts

The T mount and many mounts used in the movie industry are longer than 48mm, but many interesting cinematographic lenses have protruding rear elements - the camera is not a SLR and has no mirror.

The Leica Visoflex is also longer than 48mm according to the table.

48mm is in fact a record high in the mainstream.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: