conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C/Y to Contax N adapter???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: C/Y to Contax N adapter??? Reply with quote

I was given a contax 1.6x c/y to N adapter. At least that is what I understand, I do not have a N camera to check the camera mount.

I could not find any data about this. Anybody knows more than I do?

thx
mwtphoto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possibly an 1.6x teleconverter for the contax N mount?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very interesting discovery, but I have never seen a C/Y to Contax N adapter with or without teleconverter.

Could N be 'Nikon'?

derekh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Yashica converter Reply with quote

Hi Andi,
Have you worked out the converter yet?
If it is the yashica/contax 1.6x conertor (which i think was part NAM-1), I have been looking fior one of these for a few weeks. If you have no use for it, and wish to sell, please PM me or contact me with a price.
Good luck and hope you get good results if are able to use it.
Regards,
Derek
Andi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is indeed a 1.6x converter for the c/y mount lenses (I have such lenses) and the Contax N system cameras. I am on the move so I cant examine it or post pictures of it. As soon as I am home I will do this
Bo-Ming would you like to inspect it? Could you imagine to convert it to EOS. Of course there is no AF convertion needed, only aperture.

Derek, thanks for proposing. I will come back to you if I have no use for it. I 'll be at home in about 10 days
derekh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andi, will keep a look-out for your posting
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't mounting a C/Y lens to a C/Y to Canon adapter and adding a Canon-mount 1.6x achieve the same effect?
derekh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should do , and that way the AF function would work wouldn't it?
Andi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C/Y lenses have no AF, Derek.

Bo-Ming, the thing is you do have to stop down the old contax lenses manualy. On the lens mount side the converter has the mechanical aperture controls, on the camera side there are only the golden contacts of the N mount.

So if Kyocera made it properly, this would mean that you preset the aperture on the lens; now when you shoot, the camera tells the converter to stop down the lens instantly. The converter would do the work of triggering the aperture in place of a RTS or 137.

I really dont know if this is the case, but that is the only way this converter would make sense to me.

The draw back of this converter is of course the 1.6 factor, a bit odd. I know there are 3rd party converters which allow to adapt FD lenses to EOS and they are not very popular, probably the lose of quality is too important
Andi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes bit more sense now Andi,...(and well found)
Does this now fit in with your uses, please let me know if not, as it shold fit my old yash 230 which I have ressurected for my grandson, and who is pestering me to be able to use some of my old yash lenses on it.....so keen for a tender age!

regards,
Derek
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your research!

The Yashica AF mount uses an in-body focusing motor and a mechanical lever to move the aperture diaphragm. The 1.6x AF teleconverter will convert a manual focus Y/C mount to an AF/AE lens on a Yashica AF camera.

Similar accessories are common in the 80's. For instance Nikon used to make a 1.6x AF teleconverter to turn manual focus Nikon lenses to autofocus. Pentax makes a 1.7x version for their own K mount.

In all cases, AF is achieved by moving the teleconverter optics. The manual focus lens remains stationary. The AF range is limited and you have to manual focus to approximately the right range. Then the AF will kick in and do the rest.

These did not gain popularity because of image degradation resulting from the teleconverter part.

Since the Yashica AF mount is a mechanical mount, not an electronic one like the Contax N, we probably won't be able to just transform that to Canon EF. The whole point of using Zeiss is the image quality and the 1.6x part goes against it. I doubt if this would become a big hit anyway.
Andi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks anyway. Despite using Contax gear for a long time I completly ignored the Yashica AF system and did not think about it.

Dererk, I sent you a Privat Message. Please have a look on the header of this page. You should see a line saying "you have 1 new message".

if you 'd wish to contact me via mail you can use my homepage

http://www.andidietrich.com/contact.html
europanorama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nam-1 = Contax 645 to N1

I have this yashica AF convert 1.6. We-david of leitax.com and i are thinking of replacing the c/y-mount by m42-one to be able to mount it on sigma s1. He already has two mutar II and III-solutions.
I do not have a lens-table for the yashica. there are lens-limitations.

If guevara of www.sigmacumlaude.com is offering the promised sd15 in eos-mount then the next step could easily be the sensational s1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: