conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AF micro-adjustment feature
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you find this feature useful?
No, the AF is accurate so I do not see a need for it.
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Yes! I have an AF accuracy issue so I need an adjustment like this.
59%
 59%  [ 16 ]
I don't have an AF accuracy issue, but would like to see this feature just in case I ever do.
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 27

conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct.
plog1964

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Is adjustment enabled for the firmware version of 1.1.0a? Reply with quote

Bo-Ming,
My copy of CZ N 17-35 (S/N: 15130427) was converted on 2007-01-06. The lens database on your web-site shows firmware version of 1.1.0a. Based on the very first post in this thread my converted copy should allow focus adjustments, since it was converted after 2007-01-01. However, after looking into adjustment table in your last post I noticed "n/a" in the cell for my lens and firmware version. I always believed that this feature is available for my lens. Please advise.
________
GROUP INSURANCE ADVICE

Last edited by plog1964 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, a 17-35 with v1.10a is not accurate enough even with AF micro adjustment. Please send it back to us for an upgrade to v2.8 (2007/07/29). It is completely free of charge.

Last edited by conurus on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
darekd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Are their any new options in AF micro-adjustment? Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wondering if the latest firmware does have any new AF micro-adjustment features beyond described in this thread and the thread from Mar21 2008? I copied relevant information below but if there are any new updates it will be great to update this discussion.
I have 24-85 which is backfocusing with 1ds markII and I'm not able to modify AF micro-adjustment parameters. At the same time I don't have problems doing the same with 100mm macro.
I have installed canon mount by myself which is not too complicated in my opinion. However, after that backfocusing issue I decided to send 3 other lenses for conversion to conurus instead of trying to modify them at home.

Thanks and AF micro-adjustment is a brilliant idea in my opinion
Darek

---- below is copy of post from thread Planar 85 focus trouble (Fri Mar 21, 2008)
"firmware version 2.8, which has significantly extended adjustment capabilities, in addition to what I previously posted in the instructions.

To enter a value,

manually focus to minimum focusing distance.

Set camera's aperture and the lens' aperture ring according to the table.

If minimum aperture is f/16,

cam\lens f/2.8 f/4 f/5.6 f/8 f/11 f/16

f/2.8 21 20 19 18 17 16

f/4 15 14 13 12 11 10

f/5.6 9 8 7 6 5 4

f/8 3 2 1 0 -1 -2

f/11 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8

f/16 -9 -10 -11 -12 -13 -14

Press DOF preview, and release it.

Each adjustment requires entering 5 values.

choose the item to adjust ( new in v2.8 )

4: fixed AF adjustment for standard precision

-5: zooming/focusing AF adjustment for standard precision

0: fixed AF adjustment for high precision

-9: zooming/focusing AF adjustment for high precision

-1: erase all settings and restore to factory default (skip step 4 and jump to step 5)

The "ONE SHOT", "AI SERVO" or "MF" indicator of your camera will start blinking. The number of times it blinks is the previous adjustment value you stored. If the previous value stored is negative, it will flash 31 times for -1, 30 times for -2, and so on. If the previously stored value is zero, or there is no previous value set, the MF indicator of the camera will not blink.

Set desired adjustment value. The "ONE SHOT", "AI SERVO" or "MF" indicator of your camera will flash the same number of times as step 3, the adjustment item you have choosen.

value 9 confirms and stores adjustment value in non-volatile memory. Your camera will display "f/1.2" and the aperture will not open. Remove the lens from the camera body.

For fixed AF adjustments, a positive value causes the point of focus to move away from you, curing a front-focus issue. A negative value causes the point of focus to move towards you, curing a back-focus issue.

For zooming/focusing AF adjustments, a positive value causes bigger differences between infinity and closest focusing distance, and a negative value causes smaller differences between infinity and closest focusing distance.

High precision AF and standard precision AF have separate settings. Please refer to this guide for more information: http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=AFCompat
erichard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Adjustments for my 17-35mm Reply with quote

I found the adjustment essential. Oddly enough, my 20mm was 0 adjustment, the 28mm was -3, and 35mm was +14.

Those numbers seem a little odd to me, but that's what I got. The first time, I tried 50X the 28mm focal distance, but I got -14. Then I tried a across the room, and got -3. So they all focus at that distance. The low 30's zoom mark will likely be off, since -3 is a far way from +14. I assume the lens does not interpolate from 28mm to 35mm. I guess live view would work there.

Turnaround time for my lens was a quick.

Still have to go out and take some shots.
APOLLO13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the lastest firmware(3.00f) still with the micro-adjustment feature?

My newly converted N85 exprienced a front-focus issue. I tried step1 to 7, but no blinking happened (My body is 400D, so I assumed it's a 9 point AF-sensor and then I set camera's aperture to f/8 and set the lens' aperture ring to f/8, press DOF preview).

My understanding is once I get into the micro-adjustment feature, I need to depress the DOF button to adjust the value, but how can I figure out what the existent value is?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For such a large aperture as f/1.4, it is required to match your specific lens to your specific camera body using AF micro-adjustment. This is owing to individual variations between different camera bodies and different lenses.

At step 6, set camera's aperture to f/5.6, set lens' aperture ring to f/16. (The f/8, f/8 setting only applied for certain 2.xx versions and certain lenses. I tried hard to keep the AF micro-adjustment procedure the same across all firmware versions, but that "if A and B and C" thing is too complicated and removed for 3.xx.)

The number of times it blinks is the previous value stored in the lens. Since the factory value was zero, it blinks zero times - or not blink in the other words, at step 7. Please just proceed to step 8.
seiya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bo-Ming

I tried 70-300 AF micro-adjustment.
However, I was not able to do it even if I tried it how many times.
Please teach 70-300 methods.

For example, I replaced F5.6 with F8 by a method of F22 and tried it.
24-85, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 17-35 succeed.
Ronan O Keeffe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another request for help here.

This time it is the 400 4 TAT that is front focusing. When I use the micro focus adjust on my 50D and 5DMKII it doesn't seem to do anything at all.
So I'm guessing I'll have to use the method outlined above to cure the front focus issue. Is this correct?

Firmware is 3.00h.

Cheers and thank you for a wonderful lens Bo Ming Smile

Ronan.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your problem report.

3.00 is our latest firmware version.

Would you mind letting me know if the focus accuracy issue occurs only at some focusing distances? Or all?

Was a tele-converter used?

Micro-adjustments of both the camera body and that built into the lens are supposed to work. Since the 400/4 is a long telephoto, a large adjustment value is required to have an appreciable effect. Potentially, you may have to use both adjustments together to make an adequate adjustment.

doctorb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: 400 front focus Reply with quote

Initial test of my converted 400 showed some front focusing. I have only tested at minimum focusing distance. Tripod mounted on a Canon 7D it required +12 on the camera microadjustment to nail the focus. I will try it at different focusing distances shortly and also with the 5DII (not that a different body should make any difference).

(Thanks for a great conversion job Bo-Ming. Also will mention here that the new 50/1.4 you just converted for me is tack sharp, a definite keeper lens as well).
Ronan O Keeffe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bo Ming,

The issue seems more prevalent the further you go from minimum focus distance. That is to say the further away the object the more noticeable the problem.
For objects approaching minimum focus distance the issue does not seem as noticeable.
No tele-converter was used.

I made a quick test tody at lunch time and I decided to try make it front focus even more by adjusting it the wrong way on the 50D (the 5DMKII is at home). It worked, which makes me think that I'll be able to fix it by camera MFA only.

I'll try the 5DMKII tomorrow and see what happens.

Thank you Bo Ming.

conurus wrote:
Thank you for your problem report.

3.00 is our latest firmware version.

Would you mind letting me know if the focus accuracy issue occurs only at some focusing distances? Or all?

Was a tele-converter used?

Micro-adjustments of both the camera body and that built into the lens are supposed to work. Since the 400/4 is a long telephoto, a large adjustment value is required to have an appreciable effect. Potentially, you may have to use both adjustments together to make an adequate adjustment.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting with firmware version 3.00, you may store a simple "curve" in the lens so that different adjustments can be applied based on focusing distance. Steps:

1. In the case of the Tele-Apotessar 400/4, first adjust the overall AF adjustment of the lens at 9m or 30ft. This adjustment will affect all focusing distances.
  2. Make the AF adjustment at minimum focusing distance. All distances between 2.9m/9ft (minimum) and 9m/30ft will be interpolated linearly.
  3. Change the "slope" of adjustment from 9m/30ft towards infinity.

Last edited by conurus on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Ronan O Keeffe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this great guide Bo Ming,

I'll have to spend an hour or two at the weekend to run a series of tests and see how much adjustment I need to set for each distance.

Ronan.
MomoInu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'm just clueless. After sitting on my converted N85 for a few months, I decided I should try to do the micro-adjust feature with my 5D -- I am assuming that it works with the 5D, right?

After going through steps 1-7, I don't get any blinking of the "ONE SHOT" or "AI SERVO" indicator. So, I assume that no previous value has been set.

Step 8 says, "Set the desired adjustment value according to the following table...". OK, how, physically, do you set the value? Nothing is immediately obvious on the camera. What am I missing? What should I be seeing at this point? Further, do I enter all of the values in the chart (provided I can find out/figure out how to do that) or just one of them?

I guess I just need a little more clarification. Sorry for being such a stunad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: