conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AE Lock with variable aperture N zooms on Canon bodies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: AE Lock with variable aperture N zooms on Canon bodies Reply with quote

The Contax N1 body had a horrible bug in its AE lock behaviour with variable max aperture N zoom lenses. It would not compensate for the change in effective aperture by changing the shutter speed if you zoomed out/in after you set AE lock. For instance with the 70-300/4-5.6 zoom, if you set the AE lock at 1/125 @ f/4 at the 70mm end and then zoomed out to 300mm, the effective aperture (as displayed correctly in the viewfinder) would automatically change to f/5.6, but the camera would keep the shutter speed at 1/125 instead of decreasing it to 1/60, which would result in a one stop underexposed picture. Zooming the other way round would result it one stop overexposure, etc.

I know that my friend's EOS 10D did not have this issue with his Canon zoom lens. I believe this was a bug in the Contax camera firmware and I would guess that the adapted Contax N zooms will not have this problem on Canon bodies, but could somebody please verify this? Thanks a lot!
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried this with the Vario-Sonnar 70-300/4-5.6 that I am selling on eBay. After AE lock on a EOS 1D, zooming changes both aperture and shutter speed. For example, at 70mm the reading was 1/50 f/4, and at 300 it became 1/25 f/5.6.
tyr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for confirming this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: