conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5D Mark II + 100mm Makro = Err 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I used my converted Contax N lens on my 5D mark II and...
got a Err-??, suffering permanent, irreversible damage
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
got a Err-?? once in a lifetime, but fixed after dismounting lens and replacing battery
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
got Err-?? frequently, but still, no permanent damage
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
had never experienced any Err-?? from the camera body whatsoever
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

kentphotos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: 5D Mark II + 100mm Makro = Err 20 Reply with quote

I've sent my 5D Mark II off to the Canon Repair Center today. It has begun giving the Err 20 message (Camera unable to take pictures because of mechanical malfunction, turn off power and re-install battery).

This started with a Contax C/Y 21mm Distagon with an AF-confirm adapter on the camera. I tested every type of lens I have on it, Conurus-converted AF, Canon AF, and nothing revived it. It stayed non-functioning over night, then came back to life the next morning with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 attached. I swapped the Contax N (Conurus-converted) 100mm f/2.8 Makro-Sonnar on it, and it died immediately, and couldn't be revived.

I hope this is a Canon body problem and not an alternative lens mount problem, because I've grown very fond of Zeiss glass. (I'm about to construct a PC control lens out of a Zeiss Jena Biometar and a Pentacon 6 to EOS shift adapter built in the Ukraine, since I lost out on a recent auction of the Zeiss 35mm PC Distagon lens).
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent,

As far as I know, Err-20 means a "mechanical problem".

It is very unlikely that an alternative lens would cause damage to the mechanical operation of the camera body, with the sole exception of the mirror. A Distagon 21 with an appropriately made adapter has no mirror clearance issues, and also we guarantee all Contax N lenses converted by us, with the exception of the N 50/1.4, to be free of any mirror clearance issues.

On the other hand there are reports of Err 20 when only Canon lenses are involved, and also that the failure is intermittent. Therefore, I do not believe the two are in any way related. However we could wait and see what Canon says.

Let me also add a poll to this thread and see what other people's experience has been.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: