conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24-85 crashed my 5d mark II?, NO => SOLVED!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: 24-85 crashed my 5d mark II?, NO => SOLVED! Reply with quote

Hi,

Recently i've purchased a 24-85 lens (my first contax n) for my Canon eos 5d mark II. Today i received the lens and after i came back from work i tried it. As soon as i put the lens on my camera and turned on the power... the camera died completely. It just crashed. After removing the battery and waiting for a couple of minutes and putting the battery back in i got an error 80 and this is the state it is still in. Ideas anyone? My canon has firmware 2.07 and the lens was converted very recently (september 2010 i believe).

Thanks,

Sander, The Netherlands

Last edited by Sander on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest sending the camera to Canon and ask them why your camera body is suffering from an ERR-80. If they can prove that it is directly caused by using our product, we would be very happy to reimburse you on your repair charges.

We test every lens we handle 4 to 7 times, before and after conversion, on various camera models, and before we ship every lens, it is always tested with our own 5D mark II first.

Also, the person who sold the lens to you was also corresponding with us. He indicated he tested the lens on both his EOS bodies to confirm it was working perfectly (as he should) before selling it to you.

ERR-80 is some vague error stating some electrical or imaging error has occurred. At start-up, your camera body conducts a self test and gives an error because the start up cannot be completed successfully. This can be owing to a variety of reasons, including a blown shutter, a blown mirror actuator, failed piezoelectric sensor cleaner, or others. For most of these problems, it was impossible to have been caused by mounting any kind of lens on the camera body. However, please have Canon take a look and let us know what they say the failure is.

Sander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I am in the process of getting Canon to pick up my camera for repairs. Let's wait and see what they come up with. I'll keep you informed.

Sincerely,

Sander
Sander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera is with canon now, estimated repair time 2-3 weeks.

I noticed a screw on the mount of the lens that is sticking out significantly. Is this normal? I've added a photo.

Thanks,

Sander

IMG_8528.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  325.95 KB
 Viewed:  27667 Time(s)

IMG_8528.jpg

EXIF Information  Details
Camera make  Canon Camera model  Canon DIGITAL IXUS 800 IS
ISO  Not available Focal length  5.8mm
Shutter speed  1/8 seconds Aperture  f/2.8
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screw is correctly installed, and sticking out as it should, from your picture.

Its purpose is to prevent the user from rotating the lens in the wrong direction.

To protect your cameras from accidental damage, always make sure that screw exists, on every lens and every lens adapter you have.
bluefin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sander wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I am in the process of getting Canon to pick up my camera for repairs. Let's wait and see what they come up with. I'll keep you informed.

Sincerely,

Sander

Hi Sander,

Any new information about this problem with your 5DII?Thanks!
Sander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Today i finally was able (and found enough courage) to test my 24-85 on a borrowed 5d mk II body. And it worked fine. So it appears to be just plain bad luck and weird timing...

I expect to receive my repaired body back in 2-3weeks, i'll let you know if the results with my own camera are any different but i'm confident it will work just fine.

Thanks! SOLVED.

Sander
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your update.

We carefully measured each electrical contact pin carefully and analyzed the voltage and current requirements, before we shipped our first shipment more than 4 years ago. We did not take any chance with our design and safety features have been built into our circuits from day 1. While we are confident about our safety, our quality control standards has been escalating over the years, and we test each individual lens thoroughly before we ship.

doctorb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We appreciate the quality and workmanship that goes into Conurus products. My converted lenses continue to bring me hours of enjoyment. Thanks Bo-Ming and staff. Best wishes to all for the holiday season and for a prosperous New Year.
Leon Liew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that Conurus workmanship on the conversion process
is just flawless and amazing and it enable me to use Carl Zeiss lens
to enjo it's optics to the fullest. Very Happy
Sander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly not disputing the workmanship and quality of Bo-Ming's products and service! I just had some bad luck but i'm currently using my 24-85 with great results on a borrowed 5D mk II.

My post was originally intended to find out if what happened to my camera was a known issue or not. Or more positively, if someone knew a solution so i could start using my long awaited new lens.

Best regards,

Sander
Jean Luc Jean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. I am glad its all taken care of. There's nothing more frustrating then wanting to try out your product and something goes wrong.
pkkrusty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: cost for repair Reply with quote

Somewhat unrelated, but can you tell me how much you paid to have your 5DII fixed? I'm having an ERR 80 problem and will send it in, I just want to mentally prepare for sticker shock.
Sander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5dII was repaired under warranty, so free of charge. However the return form stated an amount of 420euros for replacing 3 parts (pcb boards) + labour cost.

Hope this helps..

Sander
Barth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Missing screw on my 17-35 Reply with quote

conurus wrote:
The screw is correctly installed, and sticking out as it should, from your picture.

Its purpose is to prevent the user from rotating the lens in the wrong direction.

To protect your cameras from accidental damage, always make sure that screw exists, on every lens and every lens adapter you have.

After seeing your post, I checked the mounts on my 17-35 and found this screw missing. I'd already noticed it must be carefully handled to avoid moving beyond the "on/off" mount-point. (i.e. can be reversed beyond the safe point.)

Is this a user-installable part you can send me? I'm a professional photographer with local access to repair technicians who work on cinema lenses and understand mounts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: