conurus Forum Index conurus
smart adapters and lens mount conversions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

100 Makro Sonnar & Focus
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: 100 Makro Sonnar & Focus Reply with quote

I just had my 100 N-Makro Sonnar converted and I am having some focus troubles. It seems my lens wants to front focus slightly. When my 1Ds green focus confirmation light goes on, and the lens stops auto focusing, the image in the split-image circle is not aligned, and the file also shows it front focused as well. I wonder what is telling my camera to turn on the green light and to stop the focus motors when the image is clearly not in focus?

My 85/1.4 N- Planar and Canon lenses all seem spot on, both in my Canon split-image screen, and on the resulting files. I also have some Contax CY lenses with happypageHK's focus confirmation adapters, and those turn on my green light accurrately on my body also.

Anybody have any ideas?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At non-macro distances, the focusing should be accurate.

At macro distances, I think another customer also experienced slight front focusing. If you scroll down to the 4th post,

http://support.conurus.com/viewtopic.php?t=16

The focus point seems to be 1mm to 2mm in front of where the point of focus should be.

Please feel free to post your test pictures and let's have a look together.

jjlphoto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see any improvement at outdoor distances. At 3 feet, it focuses about 1" close. At farther ranges, like 30 feet, it wants to focus close by many feet. Could this be unique to my series of camera? I don't have anybody near me with a 5D or 1DsMKII to try it on unfortunately. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest trying to use the AF micro adjustment feature of your converted lens.

http://support.conurus.com/viewtopic.php?t=56

Try applying a large positive value.

Thanks!

BTW, are there other customers who have experienced focusing accuracy issues with the Makro-Sonnar 100/2.8? Would appreciate your success/failure report.

jjlphoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I am back on track- I did the micro-adjust procedure, applying the largest value of 21. It is very, very close now, maybe 95~99% perfect. Is there a higher value that is not on the table, or does it stop at 21?
conurus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 is already a very large value for an adjustment - you wouldn't need more than 1 or 2, normally. I am afraid there might be a deeper issue here.

I really hope you would be able to get hold of a second camera body to try - after I modified your lens, I did not see anything abnormal in my 1D mark I's viewfinder. (Of course I now regret not taking a picture so that I could be looking at its 100% crop now.)

I looked at my firmware code and in the particular case of the Makro Sonnar 100/2.8 you can go up to +27, by setting the camera's aperture to f/2.8 and the lens' aperture to f/4 in step 7.

jjlphoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the camera at f2.8, lens at f4, but upon depressing the DOF button, that combination would not allow the DOF to activate. I then set camera to f4, lens to f4, and then the DOF would activate. I then proceeded to No. 9 and No. 10. I will try to get a hold of another body.
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making some headway here. (Lens is still at the 21 adjustment position.)

It is possibly a legacy camera issue. When I switch to on of the AF points surrounding the center one, and use that new point to do aim the AF, the lens focuses properly. It is only when using the center AF point that the AF wants to kick in a bit more to wind up with a slight fron focus.
jrn813

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Have You Changed The Focus Screen In Your 1Ds?
I Went Thru 3 Canon Split Screens, Before I Found "1" I Was Happy With,
As Far As Metering Was Concerned... Might Be The Same Issue...

John R

jjlphoto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John- It's not a focus screen issue. The AF sensors are located behind a semi-transaprent area in the center of the mirror (the screen is not even necessary for AF to work)
jrn813

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Understand That...
But What Makes Little Sense To Me, Is Canon Also Telling Us That Metering Is Effected, By The Replacement Split Screen ... When Using The Center Focus Point Only...
What I Mean, The Meter Never Seemed To Be Effected In Film Cameras, Why Now? And The Metering & The AF Point Are Relational... So... ?

I Saw That Issue, When I Changed Screens... Thought, Just Maybe... No Sense, But What The Heck ...

John R

jjlphoto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrn813 wrote:
.....Is Canon Also Telling Us That Metering Is Effected, By The Replacement Split Screen.....

While the AF sensors are behind the mirror, the metering sensors are above the screen. I have found that use of third party screens often interfere with proper metering as a result.
jrn813

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Yes, I Was Grasping At Straws...
And Just Looking For Solutions....
Easy Solutions That Is, Or Maybe Excuses...
And My Screens Are Not Third Party. They Are "Canon" OEM
That's The Strange Part. I Personally Would Not Use The Others,
Just Becaiuse Of The Stated Issues.

John R

jjlphoto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be working with some folks next week with newer Canon models, so I'll give it a try then.
jjlphoto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I tried my Conurus converted 100/2.8 Makro on a Canon 1DsMKII body. After some brief testing, it was plainly obvious that the lens was communicating properly with that body as focus was right where it shoud be. That confirms my suspicion that it is a legacy camera issue.

However, that is strange because my Conurus converted 85/1.4 works perfectly on my Canon 1Ds. Relieved that my 100 is functioning properly, but stumped about the way it communicates with my 1Ds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    conurus Forum Index -> Contax N to Canon EF Mount Conversion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: